Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed Kaspersky, now no network

• Please log in to reply

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

BUT the firewire port is still not working

Please explain?

Advertisements

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

BUT the firewire port is still not working

Please explain?

I cannot connect laptop to desktop vice versa through the firewire like I used to be able to do before Kaspersky. It comes up with access denied and if I try to do repair it comes up with a TCP/IP message. However if I restore back to before I ever installed Kaspersky I can use my firewire.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Hi Lisa, Dan,

I've installed Kaspersky.
Lisa, can you go to Firewall settings.
Make sure the Network packets is showing.
Take a snapshot, send that.
Then click on the networks tab.
Take a snapshot, send that with your next reply.

Hi,

Hoping these pictures will attach.

Attached Thumbnails

• network_tab.jpg
  • Network_Pack.jpg

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hello Lisa,

Thanks for the Pics.
I did a comparison of your snapshots. The one on the right is the same as a default install.
The one on the left, is the problem. It should look like this. kaspersky_networks.JPG
Your ethernet for your local network is missing.

Since I'm not sure which settings you have changed, the quickest way to resolve your problem is to uninstall and reinstall kaspersky.Then I can compare the two.

In regards to your firewire port not working the problem is related. (In windows,firewire looks like a network device), they use this method so you can connect two systems together without a router.) It's mostly used when transferring data from an old machine to a new machine. If you go go into your control panel, network connections you should see a 1394 network connection.

Note: I did a clean install of kaspersky on a network with two machines. These machines could share files. After the install they were still able to see each others files.

Edited by isimaster, 23 March 2009 - 08:47 AM.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi isimaster,

I will go and uninstall and reinstall and see what happens. Now on the firewall issue, I went and looked at the network connections tab, and here's what I get when I click on connection status.

Thanks
Lisa

Attached Thumbnails

• firewire1.jpg
  • fire2.jpg

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hi Lisa,

Got to the network connections again, right click on the 1394 connection, then properties.
There should be an entry for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Take a snapshot and send it with your next post.

Edited by isimaster, 24 March 2009 - 10:35 PM.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi again,

Fresh new problem this time along with the old--its now switched my 3 user 1 yr liscense to a one user trial. The fun with this program never ends.

I think it looks like perhaps my ethernet network is shown, but it still won't connect, says access is denied. Same with the firewire.

Screen captures attached below.

Hate to say it, but I think I miss Norton.

Lisa

Attached Thumbnails

• network_trial.jpg
  • packets_trial.jpg
  • pre_install_firewire.jpg

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Fresh new problem this time along with the old--its now switched my 3 user 1 yr liscense to a one user trial

This is normal. You need to activate with your purchased key, online, or use the key file (If you saved your key to a file)

Click on the network packets tab, in the drop down box where it says all networks. Click on trusted networks, send me a snapshot, do the same for the other two. Click on resources send a snapshot of that. Click on applications send me a snapshot of that.

Edited by isimaster, 25 March 2009 - 08:47 AM.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Looks like the firewire finally took on this install, however still no wireless network (It looks like if kaspersky anti-virus installs in the 1394 connection that somehow wipes out the prior settings). Keeps coming up access is denied.

Hope these are all the screen caps you wanted.

Attached Thumbnails

• trusted_328.jpg
  • applic_328.jpg
  • resources_328.jpg

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
The rest of the screen caps below.

Attached Thumbnails

• resources_328.jpg
  • public_328.jpg
  • local_328.jpg

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
On network packets, click on local networks,right click, click on the green checkmark (allow),reboot.

Let me know if fixes your problem.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

On network packets, click on local networks,right click, click on the green checkmark (allow),reboot.

Let me know if fixes your problem.

That seems to fix the wireless for the moment, but now the 1394 is acting up again and not allowing connection. Its greyed out and with a red x through it.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
HI,

Send me a snapshot of your (windows) networks
and a one of your networks in kaspersky.

Believe it or not we are making progress. My handicap is I don't have wireless or firewire.
I have to simulate everything in my head. I can see what the problem is, just haven't been able to put my finger on the final solution yet.
You are also seeing the problem, it appears kaspersky is having a problem seeing more than one network device. ie, your lan connection and your firewire, which looks to it as another network adapter. I'm not familiar with firewire at all, but just for a test, plug in your firewire then boot the system.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Does Kaspersky have a "Training mode" (or "Interactive mode")? If so, try enabling it then proceed to attempt to enable your firewire connection. If Kaspersky is blocking it, it should notify you and give you the option to allow/deny. This would hopefully create the appropriate rule and allow future access -- in theory.

:) This really is quite ridiculous -- it shouldn't be this difficult to get your security software functioning the way you want it to; I don't suppose you can still get a refund? :)

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

HI,

Send me a snapshot of your (windows) networks
and a one of your networks in kaspersky.

Believe it or not we are making progress. My handicap is I don't have wireless or firewire.
I have to simulate everything in my head. I can see what the problem is, just haven't been able to put my finger on the final solution yet.
You are also seeing the problem, it appears kaspersky is having a problem seeing more than one network device. ie, your lan connection and your firewire, which looks to it as another network adapter. I'm not familiar with firewire at all, but just for a test, plug in your firewire then boot the system.

Thanks for all your help Magglass, actually got it fixed. I figured out what it did, it reverted the green check mark on the local networks when it rebooted, blocking the firewire. Rechecked it after reboot and now I have firewire on there. So that seems to be the key :)