Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network changed to unsecured out of know where!

• Please log in to reply

Brian27

Brian27

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i have a linksys wrt400n router..i set it about 5 months ago been working great..but just the other day it changed over to a unsecured network and people in my apt. building started using my internet and now it wont let me change it or changed the password on it...plus i cant even log into the networks web page >=(

can someone please help me out?? if anything tell me how to delete it and re put it back up if i can..

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Brian27,

It's possible that if you didn't change your router's default password, another user may have connected and changed your settings.

people in my apt. building started using my internet

This is actually illegal; I would recommend that you notify them.

can someone please help me out?? if anything tell me how to delete it and re put it back up if i can..

If you can no longer log into your router's web interface, then your only recourse is to reset everything to factory defaults and start from scratch.

On your router, there will be a small RESET button -- it is often recessed into the device, so you may need a safety pin/pen in order to reach it. Press and hold down this button for 60 seconds.

Once the device resets, connect your machine to the router with an Ethernet cable, then proceed to login to your router's web interface using the default username/password. The first step you should take is to change the router's password, so that it is no longer the default.

From this point, you should be able to setup your networks encryption as you did previously -- please ensure you are at least using WPA encryption (or above). Don't use WEP. I would strongly suggest that you change the router's default SSID to something less common.

If you have any questions/concerns about any of these steps, please don't hesitate to ask, and we will attempt to assist you.

- Dan

Brian27

Brian27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks dude i just had to go in and change it i fixed it :) thanks anyways for the help i pretty much did what you just said to do thanks a bunch!!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
That's great to hear, Brian :) Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you managed to resolve your issue(s) -- feedback is always appreciated.

Quick question -- did you change your router's default login password? :) If you haven't, please ensure you do so.

- Dan

Brian27

Brian27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
you talking about the way i log into the website part of the router? if so no i dont think i did that can you tell me how?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
It varies from router to router. But, once you login to your router, look for an "Administration" section, and then possibly a "Security" sub-heading. Some where in there you should see an option to change your password. Proceed to do so.

If you can't see anything similar to that, can you please tell me what options you have once you are logged into your router's web interface?