Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modded Dell insp 531

• Please log in to reply

Kallamadia

Kallamadia

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I bought a dell inspiron 531 on Jan 2008. My original specs were:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 +6000 (3.0 GHz)
2GB RAM
320 GB SATA HD
DVD Burner
CD ROM/Burner

About a month ago I began building a custom PC and it works fine. I took the Processor out of my DELL and put it in my new PC. I then bought a cheaper processor an AMD Athlon 64 x2 +7750 (2.7GHz) I cleared the bios and the CMOS, but for some reason when I plug it in it auto turns on and the power button remains yellow. EVerything attached to the board boots up, I hear the Hard drive kick on, CD drives blink, but nothing. I checked the ram by putting in the 8 GBs I put in my custom and still nothing. I bought another motherboard of the same type and another power supply, but for whatever reason I come up with the same results, any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have you popped the 6000 back into the Dell? It may be it can't talk to a 7750. The triple cores were available at the back end of 2008, not what that system was originally made.