Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

removal of norton av corporate edition 7.61.935

• Please log in to reply

radiorunner

radiorunner

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
hello geeks to go, in an earlier post i reviewed a link you have for norton removal tool, & am ready to remove it but first have a couple of questions:

1) how do i find out if i have administrator permissions (read & write) to edit the registry?

2) the geeks to go hotlink for norton removal tool takes you to a document "download & run the norton removal tool" but the hotlinks provided are for norton 2003 thru 2009 & do not appear to include my version: norton av 7.61.935, copyright 2000, license type: server/client Gold (mfg only)---is that correct?

3) i've heard you need to disable norton first before adding/removing program---how would you disable it?

thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) By default all acccounts in XP are Administrator unless you specify otherwise.

2) Norton Removal Tool should be capable of removing all Norton products. It won't hurt anything to give it a run.

3) No you don't. The uninstaller (through Windows or the Removal Tool) will kill Norton before getting shot of it.

However if all else fails, here are the manual uninstallation instructions:
http://service1.syma...74?OpenDocument

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
thanks neil, let's see if i understand this:

1) i should use the Norton Removal Tool at this site:
http://service1.syma...005033108162039 ---is that correct ?

2) & select any of the 12 products listed on that webpage to download to remove the 2000 Norton AV Corporate Edition version 7.61.935 on this computer even though the Norton Removal Tool webpage states it uninstalls Norton 2003 thru 2009---is that correct?

3) I will not use add/remove programs to remove the Norton AV---is that correct?

4) any idea how i will know if everything is removed? are there specific Norton AV images in the task manager processes tab that i should look for to see if Norton or parts of it are still installed? or should i run a search for "norton"?

5) i have a small amount of free space on hard drive. after successfully removing norton, can i use add/remove programs to remove the Norton Removal Tool?

thanks for all your help, neil.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i forgot to ask this question related to my #2) in post#3 below: would i be better off to download & run the Norton Removal Tool for my 2000 Norton AV Corporate Edition version 7.61.935 (at: http://service1.syma...05033108162039)
selecting the product: "I have a Norton 2003 product" hotlink? The 2003 product doesn't need a product key, & i don't know what a product key is or how to find it.

For the Norton 2003 product it states: "Be sure that you have your product CD or installation file, then go to STEP 3 below." i don't have the product CD & I don't know what or where an installation file is. Do i need CD or installation file before i start?

thanks!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Yes.
2) They all link to the same file.
3) Add/Remove programs is the preferred route first but if your Norton is too badly screwed up the Removal Tool is the only option available to you.
4) The tool removes everything. You may want to run it two or three times until it stops asking you to reboot after a pass.
5) There will be no Norton Removal Tool in Add/Remove Programs.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
thank you neil. i read online about some of the hairpulling others experienced trying to remove Norton AV Corporate Edition version 7.6, & having to manually remove up to a hundred registries. do you expect this will happen to me? regards.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello radiorunner

The norton removal tool should remove the registry entries...

Best of luck , let us all know how it all goes

Anthony19

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
ok, thanks y'all! we'll give it a try & let you know how it comes out. pray for me.

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i'm a little spooked to remove the old norton av program until i figure out first what this new adobe pdf icon is on my desktop: "ODU Ready 2009-2010 Course Catalog". Several times when i tried to view the properties i get a message: windows has expereienced an unexpected error & must shut down. when i right click on the icon i see an item like "scan with malwarebytes' antimalware".

i do have malwarebytes installed on pc.

1) can i assume somehow i got the pdf icon on the desktop by mistake?
2) is it from the malwarebytes program?
3) can i delete the icon from the desktop w/out messing up the program malwarebytes?

thanks!

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello radiorunner

Have you downloaded and saved any attechments from email or anything lately???

are you looking or have looked at this catalogue ???

More details can be found at http://education.odu...y/courses.shtml

Quote in link:

A copy of the Course Catalogue will be mailed out with applications. Feel free, however, to download a copy from this website

Hope this can clear that issue...

Anthony19

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
thanks anthony19, it looks like i tried to open the pdf catalog earlier from an email message, & after running across it in the email today i don't think it is related to malwarebytes. thanks!

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
No Problem...

Glad to be of assistance

In the future.. be careful and curious as to what you are opening :)

Best of luck
&
Happy Computing

Anthony19