Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown device- no devices plugged and when plugged

• Please log in to reply

yawjunior

yawjunior

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Side story :
Came back from spring break fired up my computer (which I have not touched in for about a week) my mouse and keyboard were working about 1 minute later both turned off (lights dimmed) seemed weird - I restarted my computer and both were listed as unknown device.

Regardless of what I do I windows keeps showing unknown device on my desktop device manager even when everything usb is removed. Everything I plug into my computer is seen as unknown device ( usb G5 mouse, usb saitek eclipse keyboard, usb external floppy)
Currently have to use a non usb keyboard
What I have tried :
Clean install of windows xp followed by an update. (After being a lil bit frustrated) But this was before I tried 1,2, 3 & 4 listed below.
Result - my usb keyboard and mouse were not detected during installation and a unknown device showed up again
Reinstalled windows again this time with only my non-usb keyboard plugged in
Result : even before I plug anything USB into the computer an unknown device exists

possible solutions I found from google searching ( but did not work)
1) System restore - but it back about 2 weeks, then about 2 months - still..
2) booted in safe mode and uninstalled everything under universal serial bus controller, shutdown pc, booted.
Result - it just reinstalled the controllers and hubs and the unknown device was again installed
3) disconnected all power connections to motherboard and waited for about 40 mins - problem still persists...
4) Selected enable only usb 1.1 in bios (Unknown still showed up) after wards I simply disabled all usb in bios then restarted then renabled both 2.0 and 1.1
- Yes i did connect into all hubs including front and back - though the front ones do not even show up.
Advice by manufacturer tech support (non of them worked)
- removed lithium battery for 30 mins to clear cmos, hit the clear cmos button also.
-flashed bios
Only thing I have not been able to try was something related to msinfo32 because I get an error "windows cannot find"
I tried all my usb mouse and keyboard on my laptop (they both work)
I have tried updating the drivers but simply says the best one already installed (something like that)

For completeness:
I installed my motherboard drivers ( everything the cd came with)
I installed my graphics card driver
My motherboard and graphics card are the only nvidia components I have ( in regards to the unknown device being nvidia)
Before I first reinstalled windows i decided to try and trick the computer by copying the info in keyboad.inf and pasting it over the info in unknown.inf hoping it would recognize the usb device and work - it didn't , probably not the smartest thing.. just a theory and I wanted to try.
Everything seemed to be working fine when I left for the break..
At this point i reinstalled windows again - no luck.
I'll try and remember everything else

I included a pic of the unknown picked up by unknown identifier with the usb mouse plugged in (without it it shows only the upper unknown device)
I tried to upload my setup api its larger than available space.

Any other suggestions I am thinking about just either buying this
http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B0002M4HU0 and hope I can get some working usb ports
or simply a new motherboard ( Thinking the time I have spent/will spend --could have be spent working to buy one lol)

So anyone have an idea where to go next? or should chances are my usb ports fried?

Computer : custom built
motherboard 750i evga non ftw version

Attached Thumbnails

• Only_usb_mouse_conected.JPG
  • usbbb.JPG

Edited by yawjunior, 15 March 2009 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

Since it looks to be a USB issue, have you tried any other usb devices in that spot?
Have you tried plugging in to any other usb ports?
I suspect you have usb on the back and on the front. The chances that both are bad/blown are slim.

What shows up in device manager under the hardware tab?

yawjunior

yawjunior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thing is I am not sure exactly which spot is causing the problems but I have tried plugging my keyboard and mouse in other spots - no response.
Under device manager right now it shows
- universal serial bus controllers
Standard OpenHCD Usb host controller
Unknown device
Unknown device
USB root hub
Usb root hub
I uploaded a picture including the power properties for one of the usb root hubs - the other simply has 8 available (have 8 in all)

Is there a way to disable each usb port individually? say one is interfering with the rest?

Edited by yawjunior, 15 March 2009 - 02:13 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you at SP 1 or SP 2?
SP 1 sometimes wont find all the hubs.

Uninstall all the hubs. Shut the computer off and then turn back on. It should rediscover the hubs.

yawjunior

yawjunior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it does but unknown device shows up again even after they are uninstalled and the roots are recognized with or without any usb plugged - troubling...

I have done all upadates - SP3 now

Edited by yawjunior, 15 March 2009 - 06:58 PM.

yawjunior

yawjunior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just an update, I bought a 6 port usb 2.0 pci card - my devices are working, thanks for the time trying to help :)