Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound for music videos or Cd's

• Please log in to reply

Sunshine56

Sunshine56

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,

I just recently sent in a Hijack This in hopes that my friend here will fix this. But Im not smart with computers so I am posting the problem Im having now on this forum. Hopefully I can get someone to help me out.

When I try to play a music video or a cd .....I get an error message that says." Windows cannot play the sound".
and it shows....%SystemRoot%\media\WindowsXP Batterycritical.wav your sound card may be in use.
I found this in sounds and audio device properties.

While searching to fix this problem I did find,,,Microsoft Kernal Wave Audio Mixer
Device Type-Sound, video, and game controller
Manufacturer- Microsoft
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)
I believe waht may happened is my symentac found a trojan and it took a system volume and and the wizard with it where I was afraid to try to uninstall it and try reinstalling it. So, I left it alone.

It will play internet cards I send,,but there is no sound at all coming from videos, or Cd's or any songs I have in WMP 11. It may have been caused from these trojans and now there also gone from symentac.

how do i get my sound back from these areas?? I miss my music and videos that I love to watch and listen too.
Thanks....I have been using this website ever since 2005, and I have always had very good results with someone helping me. I appreciate this site.
Sunshine56

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

I understand how frustrating it is to have problems with your PC, but it's really not a good idea to try to fix things in tandem when you have suspected Malware. Please be patient and go through the Malware thread you started before attempting to fix your sound problem. They could be related, and anything you attempt to fix here, may all be a mute effort. Besides, it could get very confusing for all parties if there are several people trying to help you at the same time. After you complete the Malware thread, return here if you still have problems.

Thanks,
makai