Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Downgrade problems

• Please log in to reply

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I see...

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service pack 2
We'll intsall the bluetooth later, thats fine. Could you give me a walkthrough on how to install the Dell Inspiron 1545 Dell Wireless 1515 Atheros Driver For Win XP please? Not sure how to do it.
I've installed succesfully all but the Bluetooth, Audio, Wireless Atheros, Wifi Link, and Wireless 1397. The daily download limit was reached so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to continue.

Thanks very much for all the continuing help

Ali

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
In my signature is a program called Printscreen. Can you download and install it on your new laptop. I need to see a screenshot of Device manager. To configure Printscreen open the program and set the following settings...

Preferences... uncheck everything, Hotkey= Printscreen (the Printsceen button on your keyboard)
Source... Full screen
Destination... your desktop
Image... jpeg 50%

Click on OK, and Printiscreen will minimize to the System tray (by the clock)

To open Device manager go to Start>run... type in devmgmt.msc , click OK
Drag the Device manager screen to make it large enough to see everything, then press the Printscreen button on your keyboard. This will capture the screen. Save it to your desktop, and post it to your next reply.

I'm asking for this so I can see what's showing up as missing as far as drivers go. Thanks!

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ScreenShot001.jpg ScreenShot002.jpg ScreenShot003.jpg 003.jpg]

Sorry, I didnt make myself clear. The reason I haven't downloaded them sucessfully was because the limit was reached. Now, about 20 hours later,I still cant download anything. Oh well, here are the screenshots of Device Driver. Thanks.

Edited by Ali1234, 17 March 2009 - 11:45 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You look to have almost everything. In regards to the two items... Network Controller, and PCI Device... do you happen to know which drivers you need for these? If you can't get them, I can download and upload them to rapidshare. Since you seem to show an Ethernet Controller, I'm wondering if the other Network Controller is a modem. I also don't see Bluetooth anywhere in DM. Normally, Windows will install a generic BT driver and it will show in DM. Does your laptop have BT?

By the way, you didn't have to expand all the DM trees. I just wanted to see which items had question/exclamation marks. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by makai, 17 March 2009 - 12:47 PM.

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The download limit thing has cleared and I am now installing the last of the drivers. And now, to show my utter ignorance, what does Bluetooth actually do? Then I can tell you if the laptop does that. Yep, it looks as if its nearly sorted, but I may have one or two questions in a few minutes.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Bluetooth is an option you have to specify when you bought the laptop. If you didn't order it, then it doesn't have it. BT is a wireless technology that allows other BT enabled devices to connect to your computer... ie, cellphone, printers, mouse, headsets, etc. It works much like wireless, but is more secure (?).

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Righto. No it doesnt, we simply bought the pre-specced laptop from PC World. So do we not need to install the BT driver now then?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No, do not install the BT driver.

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Right, I have downloaded all drivers. The only things that are giving me grief right now are all the wireless ones. (Dell Wireless-1397-1510-Half-MiniCard Driver For Windows XP, Dell Inspiron 1545 Dell Wireless 1515 Atheros Driver For Win XP, Intel® WiFi Link 5000 Series WLAN Half-Mini Card Driver For Windows XP).
The wireless 1397 one says that the OS is not supporte
The wireless 1515 one says that no compatible hardware is found and therefore the software is not supported
The Wifilink one says that I need to provide internet access.

Erm, I have no idea what to do. Help/Instructions please?

Thanks

Edited by Ali1234, 17 March 2009 - 01:43 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you don't know which wireless driver to install, don't install just anything. If any of the wireless drivers did install, and are not working, please use Add/Remove programs in Control Panel to uninstall them. I'll research which wireless card the 1545 has and locate the correct xp driver. I'll get back to the thread if/when I find something.

Advertisements

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
None installed, but they all unzipped. I downloaded all drivers from the website, but I shall now look up XP drivers for whichever hardware card I have.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

According to Dell website, you can choose which card you wish to have installed in your machine. Do you remember, or have record of which one you chose?

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Erm, no, but the setup guide says it has 'internal WLAN Mini-Card.' I don't remember, but we didn't custom order, so I have no idea. Is there a utility I could run that could tell me?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There is a utility, but I've never used it and can't remember it at the moment.

Dells normally ship with documentation of everything the user has ordered... including what components are installed. Try looking at the documentation to see if there is any information. I remember viewing a Dell configuration receipt of some sort while working on a friends laptop.

Meanwhile I'll look for the utility.

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Righto I'll go and find the box