Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Downgrade problems

• Please log in to reply

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am speaking to you now from Windows XP Proffessional on the Dell Inspiron 1545. Turns out I was providing the wrong Network key (oh dear me). I am downloading the WLAN utiltity as we speak and all appears to be working perfectly. My computer appears to be completley up and running.
Thanks makai and everyone else who has given their time and effort to help me. Cheers guys, I couldn't have done it with out you!

Ali

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The wrong KEY!!! LOL!!! Just kidding!

You're welcome by the way. Let us know when you finally finish and we can have a... :)

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello again. Couple more things I'm afraid, but mostly this time fairly trivial. After the reintsall and driver downloads, the computer appears to be fine. Reinstalled MS Office, Norton 360, and other programs. However, I have noticed a couple of things.
1. My backup drive for my old Laptop was a Maxtor 500GB drive. Whenever I connect it to pull off a file I need, the Audio driver appears to stop working (it displays 'There are no active mixer devices availible'). I then have to reinstall the audio driver and restart the system, after which it is fine. Until I reconnect the drive, and the same thing happens. Edit: This is really annoying now, as I have to reinstall the Driver everytime I reconnect the External Drive, which I'm doing a lot nowadays.

2. The next is mainly a preference. When the Inspiron 1545 was on Vista, the media shortcut keys (in the 1545's case the F keys) did what they did and displayed, in the example of the volume buttons, a meter to show the volume level. Now on XP, that is no longer displayed, however the buttons still change the volume, brightness etc (with the exception of the disc tray eject button, and the battery meter button, neither of which now work). I suppose this is something to do with the BIOS or a missing driver. Any ideas on how to fix it anyone.

These things are not essential to the computer (so please don't waste your time trying to find a solution which might not exist), but as I will use the laptop a lot, they would be very nice to have. Thanks again for your time,

Ali

Edited by Ali1234, 26 March 2009 - 12:32 PM.

Ali1234

Ali1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Any ideas anyone?