Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Word 2000 document won't open

• Please log in to reply

praxidice

praxidice

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I have a Word 2000 .doc file that will not open (I tried to open it in Open Office Writer as well).

When I try to open it from within Word or from a folder, it gives me this message: The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions. *Check the file permissions for the document or drive. *Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.

When I tried to open it with Open Office or Google Documents, the file opens and gives me an otherwise blank page with this message: This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them.

I made this document, saved it, and immediately started having this problem. I didn't even have a chance to back it up. What could I have done wrong to cause this to happen?

Thank you!

Advertisements

praxidice

praxidice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
No takers, hmm.

The only reason I can think of for getting the message re: frames is that there is a Table of Contents in this document that (I think?) uses frames formatting.

Would there be some reason that could render a file un-openable? I haven't updated MS Office since I made the file.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated--it's an important file and I have no idea what happened.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Picked up your thread in the waiting room, (I've been pretty busy the last few weeks). Have you tried to "recover text from any file", in the Word 2000 open file window? (If you scroll down the types of files, you will find it).

You said that you made this file. Was it just a document you typed or was there some copied info from a web page or another program?

Hope this helps...

praxidice

praxidice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thanks so much for getting back to me!

I tried your suggestion and got the same weird message: "This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them." --as well as a lot of formatting-related info.

Does that mean that the file was somehow saved with only that sentence in it? That's not a sentence from the document.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
This is from the MS website for your error in Word2000

"The Word document you are trying to open is a frames page that earlier versions of Word do not support".

I think somehow you were copying something from a newer version of Word? Do you have access to other Word programs, (2002, XP, 2007?)

They may be able to recover your file. I know lots of folks are having trouble with Word2007 as it saves everything as a "docx" file, which only Word2007 can open. The trick is to save it in the Word97-2003 compatibility mode. then no problems...(well except if you had money in the stock market... :)

Time to close down for tonight, (its almost 10PM here). Good luck and hope this helps

praxidice

praxidice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I'm pretty sure you solved it!

No clue how it happened, as I created this document in Office 2000, and this problem started in Office 2000. I just upgraded to Office XP Pro a few days ago--but I imagine I can send it to someone who has Word2007 and have them save it for me in a different file format.

Thank you so much. It might seem like a little thing to you but it's a really important document. I was really pulling my hair out because this happened as I was going to backup my files.

Either way, I use this site often and really appreciate your (and everyone else's) help!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nice job, Mark D... :)

There is a Compatibility Pack available from Microsoft that should address the problem you are having.

wannabe1

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Thanks for the thanks, I do try to help where I can, (and when I can).

Upgrades and compatibility packs can also have issues. Whenever I install Office2007, I make sure that I set all its apps to save in the 97-2003 compatibility mode by default, (which is now hidden in a different spot then it was in all the previous versions.. I also had a client whose Power Point Viewer 2007 would not open all power point shows, (weird). Answer there was to roll back to power point viewer 2003...