Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading harddrive on laptop

• Please log in to reply

Mechhead

Mechhead

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Dell inspiron 1300 1.6 Ghz harddrive 2 Gb memory 40Gb harddrive with Windows XP. I want to upgrade to a 160 Gb harddrive but I have not done this before.I need to know how to transfer the data to the new drive. I understand I can clone the drive but will this also clone the OS. I don't have the OS disk just the sticker on the bottom of the computer. DO I need to get the OS disk before I start. Please help. Mech Head.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you clone a disk, you clone the entire disk... meaning everything, including the OS, Apps, drivers, and user data will be moved to your new drive. The most popular cloning software is Norton Ghost, and Acronis True Image. These cost money but are well worth the price. I personally use Acronis and have had no problems doing exactly what you're asking about.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
To add to what Makai states, make sure to back up your data and personal settings like email prior to doing the clone.
Generally the clone will go good, but you never know what can happen.