Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

never ever again mess with a working system

• Please log in to reply

maveee

maveee

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hello everybody...

i dont know if its the right place to post this but i hope u can help anyway ...

i have windows xp and it was working well for a good long time ... now i dont know whats gotten into me but i decided to take a ghost image of my partition since it was running good ...

so installed norton ghost and setup the whole process .... computer restarts ...and i choose that norton ghost should do his thing ....but bam ....it freezes right there

restart a couple times still wont work ....and when i press the second option which is to take me back to windows it freezes again ....

so i run boot magic and tell it to let me boot from c instead of the virtual partition that norton ghost creates ..... bla bla restart ...and then i get Missing Operating system !!!!

i figured it was a boot loader problem ...stick my xp cd in to try and open the recoveryconsole ...but BAM again ... after checking all the drivers the xp setup crashes giving me the nice usual blue screen ... telling me something is wrong with my hardware ....

so the question is could this still be an MBR problem .... or should i kiss my hard disk goodbye !!!!

thank u all in advance ...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The solution to this was simply find an old Windows 98 boot disk/CD (or download one from bootdisk.com), boot from it and change the active partition using FDisk from the Ghost virtual partition to the main Windows partition, and there would have been no risk to the Master Boot Record. This should also solve the problem with the computer as it stands.[/i][/color]
FDisk might be old, boring and not very pretty, but it does what it says on the tin.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 March 2009 - 05:47 PM.