Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer only works in safe mode/no sound

• Please log in to reply

zuluzephyr

zuluzephyr

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Now I'm having another issue that I think is related to this one. After going through and removing old programs I didn't need and all to help troubleshoot this problem before I posted, now that the internet is fixed I'm having problems with my audio/video. Instead of sounds as normal, there's just a beep from the computer itself, not out of the speakers. I get nothing out of the speakers. Tried the headphones jack in the front, and the speaker one in the back. Windows media player won't play anything - it says it's the wrong file format and must close. Even the stuff I've got saved on my computer that used to play, now doesn't play. I downloaded Divx and that plays, but still no sound. Also the speaker button, that you use to adjust the sound/mute, in the bottome right of the screen has disappeared. Please help! Thanks!

ok i have similar issues
computer got infected with the norton antivirus 360 trojan ... malware bytes took care of that baby
then got a new dsl carried somewhere in this i lost sound function and
1) the mute button is not on
2) the computer says the drivers are loaded and signing fine
under sound device it says i have soundmax integrated hd digital audio
now MY video driver is the nvidia geforce 6150

in my attempts to fix the issue i believe i have screwed the system up royally

I have tried system restore.. no dates available

System will not let me uninstall norton from safe mode
and i cant get at norton though normal mode

at ome suggestion ... I did turn off system restore in order to get the full norton out
that went nowhere

I have ran numerous system checks such as
cc cleaner and malware bytes anti malware... no viruses on the computer
no obvious defects in the sytems.... is this a driver issue?

I have dumped as many non using programs from c drive as i feel safe to...except for norton
which wont let me kick out the door

i went to MSCONFIG
and played with the system configuration utility in order to adjust what was started up in normal mode
my selective choices and/or diverting back to nomal startup loading all device drivers and servers did not
make a difference...

WOULD APPRECIATE any and all help
thanks the zephyr

Advertisements

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
To remove norton products please visit this link:
http://service1.syma...005033108162039
Click on the appropriate link follow the directions, download and run program to un-install norton.

Do you know if your sound card is onboard or an add-on? (Onboard sound card is generally located left side (when facing the back of case) with the other ports, add-on would be taking a slot (look for dividers).

If you have an add-on. I would safely remove the card (Power off, disconnect power, open case, discharge static electricity, ground yourself, removed card from motherboard and case) and reboot the computer with no card. Once the computer is up, remove any old drivers for the card and than turn the computer off. And safely re-install the card and re-install the drivers.

If you have an on-board sound card. Visit the "Device Manger" located at Control Panel > System > Hardware (or by selecting run and entering "devmgmt.msc"). Find your sound card under "Sound, video and game controllers", right-click on your sound card and select "Uninstall".
Follow the prompts, remove the current drivers for the sound card. Restart the computer and than download new drivers and install them.

While installing new drivers if you are prompted to "Use current\existing drivers..." please select the alternative option to replace\use new drivers.

Let us know how it goes.