Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can't load Google, Youtube, etc? Check this fix!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

I have had a problem connecting to websites such as google, yahoo, wikipedia, youtube, and a few others with error messages upon loading such as "failure to connect" or "connection interrupted". It has been over a month now, and I finally figured out what was giving me so much trouble. It seems to be a simple host file hijack, in my case all of my websites were redirecting me to a dead end. Here is what I did to solve the problem:

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
That is a good workaround. You may also want to consider.

1. Did they leave something else behind, that will come back in a day,week, or month.
2. etc host isn't used for very much anymore. MOST systems don't use it.

3. The MAIN reason why most people get infected, they are logged on as a user in the administrators group.
(not to say you still can't get infected, but when your logged on as administrator or a user in the administrator group, your handing the keys to castle to the bad guys)

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
If you have a problem connecting to websites and you suspect a host file "hijack", then we strongly recommend that you visit our Malware Removal forum for assistance. If you do have a hijacker, then you likely have something else.