Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multi Computer Questions?

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay here is the question, I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but wanted to ask anyways.

Here is the deal, I currently go to school at ITT-Tech and I just got issued a 80 Gb SATA Drive and a Data Port connector. Now some times during the class we do labs, that my schedule does not allow time for me to complete. We installed windows 2003 server on to the drives, and I have obtained a legal license for it from dreamspark for the same edition we are using in school. Is there a way for me to be able to boot up the that disk at home using my desktop?

I know that the Mobo Chipsets are different from school to home, School uses Dell Optiplex GX620 computers, and I have a home build system at home, with EVGA Main Board nforce 750i chipset.

Is it possible to run the OS at home as well as at school with out reinstalling the OS every time???

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
The short answer. No.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
agreed.....windows xp and up are platform dependent....if the motherboard and other hardware is different then the system won't boot

i actually had the same (similar) problem when i was at ITT....sometimes my class would have to switch labs....and the systems in one lab were newer than the other...so when we were in the other lab none of the drives would boot...

slight trick that we found at ITT....if you go to the book store and tell them that you need another hard drive (or convince your teacher to get you one)....they'll pull one out of a box and hand it to you....then you can have one system for one machine and one for another....of course this doesn't help completely when all your work is half done on the other drive...but some of my classmates would use something like norton ghost or similar to make an image of their assignment drive at the end of class..then restore it to the drive they were using at home

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Well I found out, that on my Mac OS X machine the drive boots up and loads windows. Tonight I am going to tempt it to make sure it loads at school, and that I didn't mess up the drive too bad.

I think my Hackintosh has the same mobo style or very close to it, as what is in the schools computers.