Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Any tips or tricks in getting your Hard Drive Space back?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MattCharles

MattCharles

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I need some help and advice. Back in 2006 I did a system recovery by mistake lol. I however, picked the opition to leave the programs onto the PC. However, with that said it did not take up all my HD space. What took up my HD space was my MP3's and DVD music videos. I lost ALL of them but my HD space is saying it is still full. I did a system defrag but that did nothing. I still do not have most of my space back. Is there anything I can do to get my space back? I also noticed in my Add and Remove programs that my PC said I haven't used a program since 2006 when I did the mistake system recovery, but most of them I have been using. can this be do to the fact that i choice to leave the programs on my PC? Is there any help for me?
My HD space is 80 gig and I only have 7 gigs left. that is a lie though lol.
THANKS! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
So you didn't do a destructive system recovery so your MP3s are probably still there.
Typically a folder called "my system drive" or something similar may be present in the root (C:\) of the drive which should have what you need. Alternatively use Windows search for *.mp3.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

So you didn't do a destructive system recovery so your MP3s are probably still there.
Typically a folder called "my system drive" or something similar may be present in the root (C:\) of the drive which should have what you need. Alternatively use Windows search for *.mp3.

No, they are all gone. :)
Not even the Geek Squad could get them back. I tried EVERYTHING! trust me.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A destructive system recovery should solve the hard drive missing space problem, or alternatively run Scandisk on it from the properties of the drive in My Computer.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

A destructive system recovery should solve the hard drive missing space problem, or alternatively run Scandisk on it from the properties of the drive in My Computer.

how do you do a run scandisk? lol

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Anyone?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If running Xp then go to
Start>My Computer>Right click on C drive>Properties>Tools Tab>Error checking

What defrag program did you use?
If windows try downloading Auslogics defrag from the link in my signature. I like it better then windows defrag because it does a better job. It will also show you how much drive space you actually pick up and you can click on the log tab at the end of running and it will show you a log of everything it did and what files it moved.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

If running Xp then go to
Start>My Computer>Right click on C drive>Properties>Tools Tab>Error checking

What defrag program did you use?
If windows try downloading Auslogics defrag from the link in my signature. I like it better then windows defrag because it does a better job. It will also show you how much drive space you actually pick up and you can click on the log tab at the end of running and it will show you a log of everything it did and what files it moved.

I used the one you just told me to use lol.
I guess it wouldn't matter now since my HD is dying and I have to replace it. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok I didn't see anything about hd dying. When did this happen?

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Ok I didn't see anything about hd dying. When did this happen?

On this post I just posted today http://www.geekstogo...ay-t235492.html

You replied to that as well. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh ok, that is why this is so confusing. It's not good to have 2 topics going on the same issue.

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Ahh ok, that is why this is so confusing. It's not good to have 2 topics going on the same issue.

They are different topics though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thats ok, since they are coming from the same system I can address them in one topic

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Thats ok, since they are coming from the same system I can address them in one topic

oh ok, sorry about that. Actually this one can get closed because I have to replace my HD so that will solve the problem right there lol. :)