Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Errors

• Please log in to reply

fanofos

fanofos

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
The computer (Toshiba Notebook Model A-105 S-1712) displays the following errors when I try to execute a program.

1. Generic Host for Win32 Services. Has encountered a problem and needs to close.
2. Padexe.exe. Has encountered a problem and needs to close.

At that point the computer will not accept any further commands; i.e., locks-up.

I just finished working with a tech in the Malware Removal forum. After a few scans and reviewing a few logs, he said my computer is clean and suggested I post here.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

fanofos

Edited by fanofos, 16 March 2009 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Are you able to boot into safe-mode and not experience the issue?

fanofos

fanofos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Chevyman USA

Yes - I can boot in the SAFE mode and execute a program. However, I cannot connect to the internet via MS Explorer.

Thank you,

fanofos

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry to step in. Are you booting up in just safe mode or safe mode with network?

fanofos

fanofos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Safe mode only. I just tried the safe mode with network and still cannot connect to internet.

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Sorry to step in. Are you booting up in just safe mode or safe mode with network?

Don't be sorry ever, this is a community-support site (at least I think so) and to the best of knowledge everyone is welcome to put in their two cents on a topic.

Safe mode only. I just tried the safe mode with network and still cannot connect to internet.

Sounds like the infection you mentioned wrecked some havoc.
I would suggest formatting and re-installing windows, I understand you just went thorough removing the malicious ware on your computer. And reformatting is the last thing you want to do, but you need to understand that although you may appear clean, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of variants of malicious software and not all of these variants have not been documented.

If you do not feel comfortable reinstalling windows, I would suggest using the repair console (to re-install windows files), go thorough your start-up remove un-needed items and clean your registry.

I will be unavailable to assist you with this for the next couple of days, there are plenty of well documented articles on how to do what I describe and I am sure another member will stop by.

Hope your issue gets resolved, hang in there man!

fanofos

fanofos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ChevymanUSA

Ok. If I understand you correctly, I need to:

1. Reformat the HD.
2. Re-install windows.

Is that correct?

I need some guidance/some one to walk me through the process.

Thank you.

fanofos

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you were going to reformat your hard drive, then you would lose all your data. I reccomend using a Linux boot disc to try to recover your files. Go to http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download | And in the bottom box, choose 32 or 64 bit. You probably have a 32 bit system, if you are unsure download the 32 bit version. After downloading the file, burn the image to a disc. Make sure you don't burn as a data file, but as an image. Go to https://help.ubuntu....raphicalInstall | and | https://help.ubuntu....BurningIsoHowto | for help on how to download and to burn it to a disc.

Now you should boot the computer up with the Ubuntu disc in the drive. For detailed instructions refer to the links. If your computer doesn't automatically boot into Ubuntu, use this link https://help.ubuntu....nity/BootFromCD

Once you come to a screen with options like "Test CD" or "Install Ubuntu" choose "Check CD for Defects" If this process is successful post back on the forums for further directions on how to get back your files before reformatting.

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

ChevymanUSA

Ok. If I understand you correctly, I need to:

1. Reformat the HD.
2. Re-install windows.

Is that correct?

I need some guidance/some one to walk me through the process.

Thank you.

fanofos

That is all I am suggesting, I am sure we can work thorough this issue. Just do not have the time at the moment.
I would recommended removing the drive and attaching as a slave to another computer to recover your files.
Unless of course you have a second hard drive in the computer (or spare) or an external drive, then I would suggest booting into safe mode and copying your files over.

As much as I like ubuntu, I am not recommending downloading it and running the live cd just to recover your files.
Ubuntu can be a difficult to understand (lots of command lines) and isn't worth it just to recover the files.

Hopes this helps!

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello fanofos

Just reading through topic... and as i can see you are in need of directions about how you reformat a drive...

If you are unable to recover data with an alternative OS ( Linux ) / wish to proceed with reformatting the hard drive...

I though i would bring to your attention that Essexboy has kindly written a topic , just on how about you go about reformatting ( the easy and safe way )

This topic/thread can be found @ http://www.geekstogo...ws-t173729.html

Best of luck with it all !
&
Happy computing

Anthony19

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

This topic/thread can be found @ http://www.geekstogo...ws-t173729.html

That's a good post, and you should try using it. It tells where the files should be backed up, and where the ones to be backed up are.
Try that before you use Ubuntu. It's not that complicated, but I only use it if not able to boot into Windows in any way.

fanofos

fanofos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks to everyone for their assistance and advice. I successfully reformatted the HDD and reloaded the computer back to its original configuration. :)

fanofos

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good job! I'm happy to see that you have solved your problem. :)

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Congratulations :)

Job Well Done !!!

Best of Luck in the near future
&
Happy computing

Anthony19