Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application error issue....

• Please log in to reply

crh8

crh8

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone. I recently disabled a couple non-essential items for start-up through msconfig (on XP). When I did that and restarted, my computer now asks for a user name and password. When I click ok, it boots up fine, but certain programs (such as Ad Aware) don't work and come up with this error:

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I'm sorta a novice at this, so this might be an obvious solution. If anyone can provide me with any help I would greatly appreciate it!

Edited by crh8, 16 March 2009 - 05:04 PM.

Advertisements

crh8

crh8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm also having a hard time opening up the disk defragmenter or the add or remove programs in control panel. Anyone have any idea what might need to be corrected on my part?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back to msconfig startup and put checks back where you took them out...