Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Reboot

• Please log in to reply

janlaree

janlaree

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
My computer while on the internet just all of sudden reboots by itself. It always comes back up but I can go onto a new page and it just reboots. Any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisements

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
How old is your computer?
Has hardware been recently replaced?
And does this only happen when using the internet? What web browser are you using (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera...)?

Let us know.

janlaree

janlaree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello,

My computer is about 8 years old but I replace the hard drive and installed Windows XP last year and I upgraded the memory last week to the max 512MB. and I am using Internet explorer. My Computer is a Compaq presario 5301.

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I would suggest trying to run memtest86, to test your memory. In general memory (ram) is good when it comes to defective sticks, however bad memory can be the cause of many troubling issues (including random reboots). You can download memtest86 from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ and click on the "Free Download" link. You will need a program capable of burning .ISO files, if you do not have a program to burn .ISO files (or are un-sure) you can download and use ImgBurn (a free burning program) from here: http://www.imgburn.com/ click on the "Download" link on the top menu bar. You will now need to burn the memtest .ISO file to a blank cd with either ImgBurn or ISO burning program of your choice. After burning of the CD, insert the CD into the computer in question. Boot into the BIOS settings and under "Boot" settings select the cd-drive as the first. Make sure you save settings after changing that, and be sure not to change any other settings (Alternatively on most motherboards you can press "F12" key to select the boot device). Memtest will start up and automatically (with out input) start testing your memory. Let memtest complete a couple of tests to be sure. Memtest will clearly state if there are errors or not.

Please note errors in memory (except for ECC memory (normally server memory)) are non-correctable and memory should be replaced.

Alternatively you can try replacing the new memory with the old and see if the error goes away.

Let us know if this helps.

janlaree

janlaree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The only thing is that this(automatic reboot) was happening before I replace the memory but after I replace the hard drive. Should I still run this test?

Tyler Luna

Tyler Luna

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If you are able, boot up your machine and find the icon for "My Computer"

Right Click My Computer
Click Properties
Click the tab that says advanced.
Click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Un-Check "Automatically Restart" under System Failure.

You could be experiencing a hardware failure and your machine is automatically restarting. If you disable auto restart, you will see the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) whenever the problem occurs. Document the error codes that appear and Google it to find out what piece of hardware is malfunctioning.

Could be anything from Memory to a video card.

Good Luck!

Edited by Tyler Luna, 23 March 2009 - 02:07 PM.

Tyler Luna

Tyler Luna

• Pip
  • 4 posts
One additional thing,

It could be other than hardware, maybe a driver issue. Have you recently installed a new printer, encryption software, diagnostics, anything of the sort?

SmartAndRealAnswers

SmartAndRealAnswers

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its possible your processor is clogged which causes it to overheat. Clean the fan on your processor.

janlaree

janlaree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The Automatically Restart box is already unchecked anything else?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Then I dont think it would be a hardware problem, try using another browser.
Try opera
http://www.opera.com/

If it works you will never go back to IE.

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Then I dont think it would be a hardware problem, try using another browser.
Try opera
http://www.opera.com/

If it works you will never go back to IE.

No offense, but What the.... I hate IE as much as the next guy but NO browser should cause your computer to restart. I would not advise sweeping this problem under the carpet. Any number of items could be causing it weather hardware or software.

I would run memtest just to be sure.
On another machine go here http://crystalmark.i...fo/index-e.html and Download Disk Info from Crystal mark.
Transfer the software from that computer to one in question either by USB flash drive or blank cd/dvd or any other method you have available.
The software does required to be installed, just un-zip and run. The software will find attached hard drives and give details on them such as drive manufacture, power on, power on hours, firmware, cache, ide/sata 150/sata 300, and other info. A nice feature is that it will quickly tell you (via S.M.A.R.T) if any drive is encountering regular errors.

Let us know how it goes.

Tyler Luna

Tyler Luna

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Are you up to date in regards to Windows Updates? how long has it been since you have done a rebuild? I keep my machines up to par as much as possible and still perform a clean install of Windows every 1-1.5 years. Maybe you should just eliminate all your problems at once and back up all of your data and re-install windows.... if your savy enough :)

Otherwise...good luck with troubleshooting... I will try to help as much as possible.

if you're running IE7,.. try pressing alt to pull up the Menu bar...select Tools > Internet Options > Advanced, and click Reset., this will revert all settings back to their defaults.

:)

~Tyler~

Edited by Tyler Luna, 24 March 2009 - 01:35 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

No offense, but What the.... I hate IE as much as the next guy but NO browser should cause your computer to restart. I would not advise sweeping this problem under the carpet. Any number of items could be causing it weather hardware or software.

I would run memtest just to be sure.
On another machine go here http://crystalmark.i...fo/index-e.html and Download Disk Info from Crystal mark.
Transfer the software from that computer to one in question either by USB flash drive or blank cd/dvd or any other method you have available.
The software does required to be installed, just un-zip and run. The software will find attached hard drives and give details on them such as drive manufacture, power on, power on hours, firmware, cache, ide/sata 150/sata 300, and other info. A nice feature is that it will quickly tell you (via S.M.A.R.T) if any drive is encountering regular errors.

Let us know how it goes.

Yea, you are right. The sure way to fix the problem would be to do a clean install of XP. It will also take care of any other problems you might have.