Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Permanently Damaged Drive?

• Please log in to reply

lostintoronto

lostintoronto

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I had an old Dell computer when one day the hard drive stopped booting (Seagate ATA-100 ST9100823A). I've since bought a new computer, and am giving the hard drive one last try. I've bought an external USB hard drive enclosure (Super slim external storage system). The light on the external drive case is now flashing red/green in quick succession, which tells me it is plugged in properly, but I hear no noise indicating the drive is functioning. When I try software such as SeaTools or ZAR, the drive is listed (sometimes called Generic Void Disk), but with a capacity and size of 0 bytes. In Vista, the old drive does show up under Disk Management, but I can't initialize it no matter what I try. I've tried everything I know to access the data on the drive, but it looks hopeless. Any ideas before I toss this old drive?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's dead. It'll make a nice doorstop but that's all it's good for now. Short of taking it to a data recovery place who will take the drive to pieces and charge you an arm and a leg for something that's got no guarantee of getting any data, it's no good for anything else.

lostintoronto

lostintoronto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not optimistic either -- and I do need a doorstop. Thanks.