Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building My First Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

Source2007

Source2007

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm an amateur to building PC's, but I have a slightly more knowledgeable friend who could help in the actual putting together process. Unfortunately, I am not a rich man and in these times, my budget is very tight. I'm hoping to get the parts I need for around $400. I intend to use my old hard drive, cd and optical drives, and case. This leaves me in need of a new PSU, mobo, CPU, RAM, and VGA. I'm trying to put it all together in a very old Dell case and it might not all fit, but I'll deal with that if the problem comes up. After a bit of research, this is what I have so far:

mobo: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128372

CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115206

RAM: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231122

VGA: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814131129

PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817702008

My friend helped me pick out those parts, but with shipping and tax, $483 is still slightly above my budget. I was hoping for some help slashing costs, maybe some combo deals on newegg. I would do it myself but I know so little about building a PC that I'm not sure the parts I picked would work well together or even be compatible. Also if these parts aren't favorable, any help picking new ones would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Source2007, welcome to Geeks To Go!

I would like to inform you first that you won't be able to use your Dell case because they use proprietary components. You can only fit a BTX motherboard on that case (usually Dell motherboards will only fit). The holes on your motherboard will not match up the holes in the case so you will need a new case.

Another thing, what resolution would you play your games at and what kind of games will you be playing? $400 is not a lot but it all depends on the games and resolution you play at.

Kamille

Source2007

Source2007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay then I will have to add a new case to my list. Any cheap suggestions?

Well with my terrible computer right now I play on really low resolutions but I hope to play on much higher resolutions, maybe not the best but better.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Source2007,

I suggest you save your money for the build below because in the long run, it will save you money. The motherboard will support the new AMD processors (AM3) so in the future, if you want a better processor, you can get the AM3 processors and wouldn't have to change your motherboard. This build is pretty much the same price as what you have selected (same video card and RAM) however I selected a case/PSU combo.

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - $129.99
ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - $78.99
POWERCOLOR AX4830 512MD3-H Radeon HD 4830 512MB - $94.99
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $39.99
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - $147.00

Subtotal: $490.96

Hope this helps.
Kamille

Source2007

Source2007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much and I was just wondering what the difference is between the processor I chose and the three-core 2.8ghz one you picked out for me is? Besides the fact that it has one more core and that it is AMD and not Intel, I meant like speed-wise.

Edited by Source2007, 18 March 2009 - 06:07 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Source2007,

The AMD X3 720 performs a bit better than the Intel E7400. From what I've heard, the AMD performs close to Intel E8400 which is better than E7400.
This is a benchmark I found however it didn't compare it to an Intel processor.

Also, from what I said before, you have more headroom for upgrade with AMD because the AM2+ motherboards are backward compatible with the AM3 processors with a BIOS update. For Intel, you can only go with Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad, no possibility of upgrading to Intel's new Core i7 processor unless you purchase a new motherboard and DDR3 RAM.

Kamille