Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSODS after New Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Grubub

Grubub

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello everyone!
I ordered an ATI 3650 HD video card from newegg.com after getting horrible FPS on some games. After doing much research, I disabled my onboard graphics card (integrated nvidia 6100), uninstalled its drivers, inserted the new card into the pci-e x16 slot on my mobo, and rebooted. Right away, the screen showed up and everything was up and running. However, I started to get blue screens after all this happened. Prior to the new video card, I never recieved a blue screen on this computer. The blue screens I tend to get are IRQL_NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO and BAD_POOL_HEADER and another one that just tells me to reboot if this is the first time. For the IRQL issue, I did check the channels and my new video card was on 16 along with my linksys wireless network card. Other than that, I am still continuing to get these random blue screens for no reason and for almost 3 months. (doesn't happen because of opening a certain program or anything) Please help and thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
Grubub

P.S. I also tried reinstalling the Nvidia System Drivers but the blue screens still show up.

Advertisements

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
my brother was having a similar problem with his card and he fixed it, all he had to do was turn off the pc remove the card completly, then plug it back in. it might help. he had a difrent card, it was an 16 mb card really old.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Grubub,

I am sorry for the huge delay!

As the person above me states, have you tried taking out the card and placing it back in?
It will force the card to get a different IRQ number.

If that's a no-go we'll continue to look for the source of the problem.

Regards,
Olrik

Grubub

Grubub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Artellos,

Thank you for getting back to this post. I did try what the person above me told me to do but the IRQ channel did not change at all. The random blue screens have been stopping but I am not sure if it will occur again. I will reply to this topic within a week to inform you if i get another blue screen.

Sincerely,
Grubub

Grubub

Grubub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey Artellos,

After having no blue screens for an entire week, I just got one when I tried to turn off the computer. After clicking Shut Down on Windows XP, a blue screen popped out, this time with no labeling (Bad Pool Header, IRQL, etc.) However, there was an error message on the bottom 0x000008DE or something. The blue screens do not seem to appear in a consistent manner.

Sincerely,
Grubub

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Grubub,

Artellos is a much better tech guy than me, but I thought I would jump in and ask if you know how many watts your PSU is? I had experiences with BSOD's when I was pretty new and it was because I upgraded a video card with out upgrading the Power Supply. When I look at ATI 3650 video cards online, they all show a requirement of a 300watt Power Supply. I installed a name brand reliable Power Supply on the computer I'm talking about and no blue screens since. Thought I would ask. Let me know.

Grubub

Grubub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi Ferrari,

Before I bought this video card, I made sure my computer met/exceeded all the requirements. I checked my PSU before and after and found it to be a 300W PSU. I also used a PSU calculator to make sure that it had some extra juice to power a new video card. Thanks for the advice!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Grubub,

Can you list me your full computer specs?

Regards,
Olrik

Grubub

Grubub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey Olrik,

What kind of specs? Gateway AMD X2 Dual Core 4200+, 2.2 ghz, 2gb ram, 300W PSU, ATI Radeon HD 3650 (Sapphire)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

What kind of specs? Gateway AMD X2 Dual Core 4200+, 2.2 ghz, 2gb ram, 300W PSU, ATI Radeon HD 3650 (Sapphire)

Grubub

Just to try to speed things along:

Model of your gateway?

also how many cd\dvd players you have?

and how many hard drives you also have installed?

At this point he is probably wondering if you have enough wattage for your unit

Artellos:

Sorry to jump in,
I was just cruising through saw you were away hoped I could get the rest of the info for you to get the issue resolved...

Good Luck

Cbarnard

Advertisements

Grubub

Grubub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey Cbarnard,

Haha, sorry I didn't know that. :) Thank you very much for the clarification. It is a GM5084, socket 939, has 1 DVD+RW Player, and 1 320gb hard drive. It also has a linksys wireless network adapter card into one of the PCI slots.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey Grubub:

Please make sure you have up to date drivers for both your wireless card and your video card.

How often are the BSOD's occuring? One way to test if it is the card maybe producing them, is to remove it and use onboard video for a period of time. (day or two) unless the BSOD occurs less frequently.

Please "make sure to disable the driver of the video card" to do this:
1. Click on Start--> Settings --> Control Panel -->System to open the System Control Panel Window.
2. Click on the Hardware tab.
3. Click on the Device Manager button to open the Device Manager
4. scroll down to display adaptors, right click on the driver for the video card
5. On the next window at the bottom select don't use this device.
6. Then click ok, you may have to reboot for this to take effect.
Run the system for a while. Is it still having errors?

If this doesn't work please remove your wireless card and reinstall your video card... and run the system for a while

Make sure to disable and re-enable the appropriate drivers.

Did this fix the problem?

The problem could be compatibility issues between the video and wireless drivers. This will help to determine what the problem may be.

Let me know and we will continue this :)

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hello,

I see that you have not replied to this post. Do you still need assistance?

If the problem has been resolved please post a reply stating this is resolved. If the problem resurfaces again please reference this thread in the new thread you start.

If you continue to need assistance please reply back with requested information asked for previously in my last post.

I like to hear how things are going for the people I'm assisting, please let me know how it is going good or bad!!!

Thank you very much and good luck

Cbarnard

Grubub

Grubub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey Cbarnard,
Sorry for the late reply. I've been testing out my computer for awhile and the blue screens have randomly appeared when i turn on the computer and such again. But they are not consistent and happen out of the blue. My new video card is up to date and I do not know how to update my linksys wireless card because I could not find a valid link after searching. Every time a blue screen pops up, I try to figure what I did before but again, it just happens randomly. I did try taking out my video card and disabled it before doing so the last time i tried to fix this on my own. However, I ended up with a complete black screen that I somehow managed to fix after some hours I recall. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Grubub

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey have you tried removing and disabling both the video card and the wireless cards, running the system without them?

What is the model number of the linksys wireless card?

Please down load this program it is a system diagnostic tool(I prefer it over most)

SIW by Gtopala

Once you have this installed start the program

on the left side of the screen is a list of items

scroll down to installed programs and right click it

save it to HTML and place it to your desktop so you can easily find it.

Open the file "installed programs" from the desktop then copy and paste the text to your next reply.

It is possible you could have a program installed that is causing the conflict. (I just want to check this out)

Good luck

Cbarnard