Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Problem

• Please log in to reply

Sonicatu

Sonicatu

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone!

I bought a new PC a few weeks back and installed Win 7. The OS worked fine until I tried to run a game ( or something with graphics, not particulary a game ) and the Blue Screen of Death appeared ( Dumping physical memory ). My motherboard is a Gigabyte and on the CD form it is a program named EasyTune where I can see informations about my system. I noticed that my RAM frequency was 400 MHz instead of 800 MHz. In BIOS is appearing 800MHz, I tried installing good old XP and the frequency is still 400MHz, but in XP I can run anything.

My system is:

GigaByte EP43-DS3L
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 ( 2.33 GHz ) FSB 333.27 MHz
2 x 2Gb KIT DDR2 Geil 800MHz

What can I do?

I can overclock my RAM frequency to 1333MHz from EasyTune, but I don`t know what will the effect be.

I can provide screenshots if needed.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there and welcome :)

Your RAM is DDR2 - so the 400MHz is correct considering it's "Double Data Rate" = 800MHz, and the BIOS is correct for calling the actual value.

Have you run a memory diagnostic?

I'd be tempted to point the finger at the graphics card / drivers before the RAM... What was the exact error message during the STOP error (BSOD)? Does it identify a file name?

Cheers

Troy

Sonicatu

Sonicatu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi there and welcome :)

Your RAM is DDR2 - so the 400MHz is correct considering it's "Double Data Rate" = 800MHz, and the BIOS is correct for calling the actual value.

Have you run a memory diagnostic?

I'd be tempted to point the finger at the graphics card / drivers before the RAM... What was the exact error message during the STOP error (BSOD)? Does it identify a file name?

Cheers

Troy

Firstly I wanna ask how can i run a memory diagnostic :)

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT ( 512 MB ) with pipes ( not with fan ).

As for the error message, I can`t read the whole thing because it appears and in 2-3 seconds it disappears restarting my PC. I just saw 'Dumping physical memory' at the bottom.

And are you sure the RAM has to show 400MHz in the program and 800MHz in BIOS? Here`s a screen of the program. HERE

Edited by Sonicatu, 17 March 2009 - 10:43 AM.

Sonicatu

Sonicatu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
need some help here.. please

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I wrote up a guide on how to burn an image to disc - my example was Memtest86+, a memory diagnostic. Follow the instructions in the link, and then reboot your computer with the disc in the tray. The memory test will start. Let it run for a few passes - preferably overnight. Any errors indicate potentially faulty modules.

http://www.geekstogo...SC-t177373.html

To see the BSOD, right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Open the Advanced tab, and press the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Uncheck the box that says "Automatically Restart", then OK your way out of all the boxes. Next time the BSOD occurs, the screen will stay there until you physically reboot your computer. Take your time to write down all the technical details (or take a photo) and post these in your next reply.

Troy

Sonicatu

Sonicatu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I wrote up a guide on how to burn an image to disc - my example was Memtest86+, a memory diagnostic. Follow the instructions in the link, and then reboot your computer with the disc in the tray. The memory test will start. Let it run for a few passes - preferably overnight. Any errors indicate potentially faulty modules.

http://www.geekstogo...SC-t177373.html

To see the BSOD, right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Open the Advanced tab, and press the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

Uncheck the box that says "Automatically Restart", then OK your way out of all the boxes. Next time the BSOD occurs, the screen will stay there until you physically reboot your computer. Take your time to write down all the technical details (or take a photo) and post these in your next reply.

Troy

10x for the tips Troy. I did a memtest and nothing was broken. I even changed the memory and still blue screen. I now have 3 options: the motherboard, the video card or the hard drive.
I did what u told me about the automatic restart and managed to take a photo of the screen. Here is the photo

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NDIS.sys is a driver related to microsoft networking
I would suggest reinstalling the driver which should be on your motherboard disk or if a add on card then you would have a disk that came with the network card.

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 May 2009 - 10:40 AM.

Sonicatu

Sonicatu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

NDIS.sys is a driver related to microsoft networking
I would suggest reinstalling the driver which should be on your motherboard disk or if a add on card then you would have a disk that came with the network card.

what does this have to do with blue screen? i don`t have problems with my network.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
The screenshot you linked to indicates that the ndis.sys file is causing problems.