Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Old Usb Card/Uninstall Anything In Device Manager First?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I bought a new usb 2.0 pci card to replace an old one which was dying out on me [bad ports]. Well I wanted to know if I'm supposed to uninstall anything from the my DEVICE MANAGER list before I go ahead and physically uninstall the old card and put the new one in. If so what is it that I need to uninstall in device manager?

Here's a pic of what I've got in device manager. [Note: Don't pay attention to the detail with an "X" lol. That's unrelated to what I'm talking about. I have it disabled for a reason.]
Posted Image

Thanks

Edited by superstar, 17 March 2009 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
USB drivers are generic and some will be for the onboard USB. Take the old card out and shove the new one in, it'll be fine.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Normally PCI USB cards don't need drivers in XP. However, if you did install drivers for your previous card, you will need to remove them in Add/Remove Progams in Control Panel. You don't have to do anything in Device Manager. If your new PCI device didn't come with drivers, then it means XP probably already has the required drivers. I've never had any problems just installing a new PCI USB card with XP... it picked it up right away!

Edited by makai, 17 March 2009 - 04:28 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
You guys were right!

Thanks a million!!! :)