Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AC Adapter shorts out when plugged into laptop

• Please log in to reply

weeg

weeg

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey everyone. When I plug my AC adapter into my laptop, the green light on the adapter turns off. What could be the issue? I've taken out my battery and it still shorts out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well either your adaptor is bad or the power supply board on the laptop is bad.... if the latter you MIGHT be lucky and it be a seperate board but most likely it is built into the motherboard.... I suppose it could also be the jack, I'd take it somewhere that will test the Power adaptor for it...

weeg

weeg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Well either your adaptor is bad or the power supply board on the laptop is bad.... if the latter you MIGHT be lucky and it be a seperate board but most likely it is built into the motherboard.... I suppose it could also be the jack, I'd take it somewhere that will test the Power adaptor for it...

Thanks for the reply. I tried my spare power cord and it did the same thing. So, worst case scenario I need a new motherboard? Shiiiiiiit, I have replaced mine twice already on this computer, one time under warranty at least.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
when you say you tried a spare cord do you mean just a spare power cord or a spare adaptor? Some laptops have power cords that are seperate from the adaptor..... I see you are in the US, we have a Batteries Plus store up here that will test stuff like that, you could try that.... Also maybe try a different outlet if you haven't already...

weeg

weeg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

when you say you tried a spare cord do you mean just a spare power cord or a spare adaptor? Some laptops have power cords that are seperate from the adaptor..... I see you are in the US, we have a Batteries Plus store up here that will test stuff like that, you could try that.... Also maybe try a different outlet if you haven't already...

Yes, I've tried a different outlet and I have tried a different power cord and adapter.