Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSoD "CONFIG_LIST_FAILED" in Vista + Confusion

• Please log in to reply

ra007

ra007

• Pip
  • 6 posts
COMPUTER: Dell Vostro 1400; Windows Vista Home Basic SP1

While using my computer today, I noticed that it kept giving me warnings (yellow exclamation warning windows) saying it would have to log me off and restart due to some errors (I'm not sure what exactly it said). I was too busy to investigate so I let it restart twice before I stopped using it.

Next time I tried to start up, I get a BSoD saying: CONFIG_LIST_FAILED

*** STOP: 0x00000073 (0x00000001, 0xC000017D,0x00000005,0xF6AE6BB8)

And so I looked up some threads online and I found that if I put in the standard Vista DVD that came with my computer, I could use some of the repair tools to try to fix it.

I'm not exactly sure if it has fixed, because the repair tool said to reboot and if the problem persists, go ahead and run the tool again to see if anything else can fix it.

However, it has been rebooting, getting to the black page with DELL and the page where BIOS is loading, giving me the F2 Setup / F12 Boot Menu options
And then I hear the DVD loading, then get to a blank black page with a flashing _
And then it reboots to the big DELL page/BIOS/F2/F12 page, then back to the blank black page with a flashing _

And it has just been doing it this whole time.

I tried taking out the DVD, and it just does the exact same thing.
The only thing I can do to stop the cycle is press either F2 or F12 and attempt to do something...

When pressing F8 finally does do something, I'm given the option to load Vista Home Basic (recovered) but then it just does the same thing.
And if I press F8 again for advanced booting options, it just goes back and does the same thing...

The most productive thing that has been done so far is pressing F12 and loading from the CD-DVD drive.

I really want to find some way to preserve my files (which haven't been backed up for a bit). I heard that I can just bring my laptop to a representative at Best Buy or similar stores and they can take my hard drive and put it in another computer and transfer my files somewhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements