Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

File recovery after CHKDSK repair.

• Please log in to reply

Ckenward

Ckenward

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well, I've been having odd computer problems for the past little while... my sound (the most annoying thing) will cut out, change pitch or go all fuzzy and the only way to fix it was to quit the program or reset the audio software. I've also been having little red pixels appear and will grow if a window is dragged through them (and no these are not dead spots in my monitor)

I decided the best course of action (after i reinstalled my drivers like 20 times (no joke) and ran a zillion virus scans (ok exaggerating a bit there)) to wipe my computer ans start fresh. so i made a list of all the programs i had, got all the CD's ready and made a SAVE folder, with all my music, photo's, schoolwork and some very very very important documents that i CANNOT lose and moved it to my desktop. Then i proceeded (like a complete idiot) to try and resize my partition and make a new one so i could put the save folder in there and wide the old partition...

Well the program caught an error (well three) while making partition and cancelled whereupon my computer rebooted and got a BSOD (Error; ***STOP: 0x00000024) which means i fracked up the boot driver. So i loaded the windows recovery console and ran a CHKDSK /R and got windows to boot up.

Now the problem, I can't seem to move any of the folders (the includes copy/cut and paste) on my computer, the taskbar doesn't pop up, none of my processes seem to have a User Name (except system idle process) and it takes a while to log in and some of my programs on my computer are broken...

I tried to repair first and then reinstall windows, but i stopped for fear that the files would be erased. Now seeming how money is short in these tough economic times, taking my HD into the shop is not an option for me and I just want that one folder (did i mention is was around 55G?) off my desktop onto either my external harddrive or my other computer.

Thank you in advance for any help :)

>CK

Advertisements

Ckenward

Ckenward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
So I rebooted my computer, problem-o then I typed in my password and the instant I hit enter I got a ***STOP 0x0000008E error + a BSOD, now i believe that is a memory error??

I have no idea what is going on.

>CK

Edited by Ckenward, 17 March 2009 - 08:43 PM.

Ckenward

Ckenward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I put my hard drive in another computer and got the files off. no biggie.. now on to the bigger issue...

I wiped my drive and reinstalled the OS + all my drivers.. i think the sound problem has gone away but the dots have gotten ALOT worse... there are alot more of them and there're multi-colored.. it's driving me insane...

>CK

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

Do you have real video card, or on-board video?

Ckenward

Ckenward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
There are no files in that folder and i have a video card...

Just for future reference here's my system info;

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2GB of RAM
NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller (3x)
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT [Display Adapter]
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer Pro [Sound Card]
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-E 1.XX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

>CK

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Do you have fresh video driver?
Is it laptop, or desktop?
Same problem in Safe Mode?
Did you try another monitor?

Ckenward

Ckenward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have the newest driver.. desktop.. yes same probelm in safe mode and no it's not the monitor.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you tried different monitor (did you?), then, remove video card, and let on-board video to kick in. See, if same thing will happen.

Ckenward

Ckenward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
yes i tried another monitor... i've tryed the onboard video but i didn't remove the video card at the time.. same probelm..

but is it necessary to remove the whole card??

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes. In order to have more clear picture of your problem.

Ckenward

Ckenward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok so i pulled the whole board out, and i figured since my case was already open i'd give everything a good clean.. so i used my on board and that worked perfectly... but i put my video card back in and the dots are gone now?? i still see a few but no where near as many as before...

so i'm thinking dirt/dust??

>CK

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Possible, or dirty contacts.
Remove the card one more time, and clean the contacts with pencil eraser.
Then put the card back in, remove it again, put it back, and so on...Do it few times, so the contacts inside the slot got cleaned as well.
Did you use compressed air for cleaning inside the computer?

Ckenward

Ckenward

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
A pencil eraser?? really? never thought of that. and yes i used compressed air.

>CK

Edited by Ckenward, 22 March 2009 - 02:05 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yep...