Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unable to make xp memeber of my domain

• Please log in to reply

sykool

sykool

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Im trying to make a home network so i could practice at home windows server 2003. I got 2 computers one computer with 2 os xp/windows server 2003 the other computer xp and i got a linksys router. Now the two xp's are in there own work group i want that be left like that for the family. Now i want to have the other xp to also be part of the domain of the server so I could practice with active directory. However when i try to join xp to member of my domain it's block out. can i have a workgroup and domain and switch back and forth when i want or would i have to Partition my hard drive and install another xp on it and make that one only part of the domain. Please help. Thanks!!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey sykool,

What steps have you taken to configure your machine to be part of the domain? What about the workgroup? Please review the following MS Article -- Using a Portable Computer from Work on Your Home Network. While you may not be using a "portable" machine, you are still trying to switch between two different network types.

- Dan

sykool

sykool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello thanks for your reply. I originally have a work group with my two windows xp and i set it up the same way that link you sent me. However in school i received window server 2003 so one of my pc i made a multi boot. Now i set op a static ip on window server and default gateway is my router. Now the other pc is still on the work group that share file with the xp but i want to also want the xp to be part of the domain of window server so when i need to practice that my client computer but when i try to join it to my domain it is block off and work group is the only thing i could select. i think i might have to make a partition on my drive and install another xp it just dedicate that to the server. do you think it a good idea.

Edited by sykool, 18 March 2009 - 10:40 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

but when i try to join it to my domain it is block off and work group is the only thing i could select.

Are you using Windows XP Home Edition, or Windows XP Professional Edition?

sykool

sykool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
windows xp media center edition

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

windows xp media center edition

This is most likely your issue; therefore creating a separate partition with the same version installed will not resolve your issue.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 - FAQ:

Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?
While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.

- Dan

sykool

sykool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks i think i have xp pro