Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Problems...

• Please log in to reply

wadenf

wadenf

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I bought a new Windows Vista computer 4 days ago. The main reason I bought it was for more RAM and for it to have enough power to handle a good video card without "bottle necking" or what not.

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, 8 GB DDR2 with NVIDIA GeForce GT120 (discrete graphics), 640 GB Hard Drive. Some other things I figured I'd tell you about it just incase it is needed to give me more help: Ports/Connectors: 2 FireWire (IEEE 1394), 6 USB 2.0, 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Lan. Audio: 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition. Also, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1.

My problems are the following:
When I am inside vent and trying to talk to people they say it's muffled, my voice goes in and out and I'm very quiet for the most part. I used this mic back when I had my old computer and it worked fine. I just plugged it into another computer and it works fine. With this computer it has trouble (this one is Vista, the others are not....maybe that's one problem?). So I know the mic itself is in good shape. I've turned my microphone settings up and looked at different forums telling me other ways and nothing has worked to a good extent. Earlier I was with a friend in ventrilo and was talking to him with my headphones unplugged and he said it sounded the best. The only problem with that of course is I can not hear any responses. Another thing is when I have WoW(World of Warcraft) running it seems to be more static(or muffled) when I talk.

Also, I hear a constant buzz sound in my headphones which annoys the piss out of me.

Another problem I am having is I get random spikes and lock up for 3-4 seconds. It really drives me crazy when I am playing Counter-Strike or WoW. It causes deaths and what not, just annoying in generally. I think that is a problem with my internet considering I'm using a USB wireless card and it might not be receiving the best connection.

All in all I would like to get back to the point where I can play WoW and be able to talk without having any trouble (IE: People being able to hear me clearly and I'm loud enough without my settings continuing to drop back down even though I hit apply and OK. IE: Having the constant buzz in my own headphones the entire time I have my headphones on).

Please try to give me some help with these problems. If you have a good solution please have some decent steps I could follow to fix it.

Advertisements

ColDroop

ColDroop

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Im not any kind of expert but try running vent as an administrator...sounds like some problems i had while using vent and combat arms

wadenf

wadenf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
As in an administrator on vista or do you mean something else?

ColDroop

ColDroop

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
yea might not fix it but right click the icon and select run as administrator

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would recommend that you try updating your drivers (sound especially). You probably need to enable mic boost.

Go to control panel, then sounds.
click on the recording tab.
click on microphone
click on custom tab and check the box for +20db boost.

Also, here are the settings that I use for vent:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image