Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Will The World Be Like In 100 Years?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
:) :)

Advertisements

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
the world will be over because of nuclear war. :)

antmanbee

antmanbee

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Who knows?
I am 57...when I was growing up we thought there would be automated sidewalks and Robobutlers.
Took electronics classes at Paterson(NJ) YMCA....they taught about electron tubes. Anode, Cathode, Control grid, Suppressor grid. Transistors were pretty new in consumer products. 3 transistor radios. Then 6. Then 9. Car radios had electron tubes.
Electronics magazines(Radio TV Experimenter for one) had projects that required sheet metal. Form that sheet metal into boxlike structure. Punch holes for tube sockets.
Later on the magazines had projects for dice playing games and blackjack.
And that was considered ...WHOA!
Electron Tube testers in drugstores.
I was Radioman in USCG. Before satellite/digital technology.
Weather reports, position reports, medical emergency....all information transmitted by Morse Code if the ship was pretty far out at sea. Maybe 8mhz voice...if closer to shore. VHF-FM if just about in the Harbor.
Big commercial radio stations on Coasts...KFS on POINT REYES for example...handled civilian traffic.
Big teletype machines like you see in old sci fi movies...machined brass parts...reperf tape.
USCGC DAUNTLESS radio room started going digital around 86-87.
WE were kind of resistant at first....but first patrol with new equipment changed our minds.
Morse Code phased out....
Radioman rating badge retired... Radiomen obsolete.

No ATM's....mad rush to get to bank on payday before it closed(usually around 3 or 4 in afternoon). If you needed cash you had to hope there was somebody who would cash a check.
No cellphones....Phonebooths, with doors. Any kind of accident or emergency needed to find landline phone first.
First "cellphone" I ever saw was on Kodiak Island. About the size of walkie talkie.
Interfaced with repeater tower on top on mountain. Think Amateur radio license required to operate. My drinking buddy had one. Used to make crank calls to bartenders at USCG Em Club on Kodiak while sitting 30 feet away from bar.

Worked in mail order place in Passaic NJ around 77-78. They had computer somewhere and boxes of cards with holes punched in them stored in big room in cardboard boxes.

I think George Orwell anticipated something like internet in 1984.
I like the new technology.
It's off my radar when it is brand new esoteric.
But when it trickles down it is all good.
I know homeless people that have cellphones and computers.
who knows.

Unless the poster above me is right.
Then I guess we start all over again.
with Clovis points.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

...when I was growing up we thought there would be automated sidewalks and Robobutlers.

I was thinking about this the other day.

Technology really does grow exponentially like stettybet0 and I were talking about earlier in this thread. BUT, humans have the ability and seem to reject change, which slows the process down.