Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Relabeling Hard Drive Name

• Please log in to reply

ajaustin12

ajaustin12

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently had to wipe my hdd due to it crashing and not being able to fix it. I have to hdds in my system. For some reason windows labeled the storage hdd as C and my primary as E. I unplugged the storage hdd and was able to boot the pc up at the lst known workable configuration.

I believe why I was unable to boot it up because the pc wanted to boot up using the C hdd.

How can I relabel the drives?

I want my primary to be labeld C and my storage as E.

Thank you for any help.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have been told you can remap the drives. I have not found much info on this.
The best way to proceed (unfortunately) is to reformat the drive. Make sure you unplug the other drive before you do.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yep if you installed it to 'E' you will have to reformat and redo the drive as windows will continue to look for 'E' drive even if you have changed the leter.