Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont turn on start up

• Please log in to reply

gbbarbie

gbbarbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HP Pavilion laptop, 2 yrs old.
I've had a number of small problems w/it, all right after the warranty expired.
I've had overheating problems (seems to be common w/this series), and lately, when I go to startup, it 'false starts' several times.

Either the lights on the keyboard light up adn the fan comes on, but the actual screen never gets anything/seems to start,
or it starts up w/a system problem and takes a while checking it before it starts up.
Sometimes it works fine.

Now, suddenly, after a plane trip, it just does the keyboard/DVD player/fan on thing...and will not start at all. I've tried switching batteries, haven't swapped power cords yet, but it seems to be drawing power (certainly enough to run the fan, etc.) and the LED on my computer SOMETIMES it registers that it is drawing power. Sometimes it doesn't.

Any thoughts? Would love some help before I try a repair service. HP has been beyond worthless on the customer service front.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You need to list the entire model number of the laptop so we can get an idea of what you're referrring to.

Now, suddenly, after a plane trip, it just does the keyboard/DVD player/fan on thing...and will not start at all

At this point, its not clear whether your AC adapter is actually supplying power to the laptop. It might be that there is just enough residual battery power giving indications of false turn on, and your batteries are actually dead. What you might do is remove all batteries, plug in the AC adapter, and try to turn on the laptop. If there's a problem with the AC adapter, the connection the AC adapter makes to the laptop, or the laptop itself, this will help to determine that.

Edited by makai, 19 March 2009 - 03:46 PM.

gbbarbie

gbbarbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is an HP Pavilion dv2220us Notebook.
Thanks so much-I will try this out when I get home and see what happens.