Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ie7 acting weird, no cached links for google search results & i ge

• Please log in to reply

lucky-g

lucky-g

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi guys,

ie7 started acting weird just when my antivirus software program stopped working. Anyway, here is a list of what I am experiencing that I can remember:
  • google search results no longer display the "cached" link next to "similar pages"
  • clicking on links either from google search results or not, takes me to other sites like "jump" for instance. or I get pop up windows.
  • when I click on links, they open in new windows each time although I have it set to open in a new tab in the current window.

side notes:
  • I tried installing and running "malwarebytes," but had no such luck. Nothing happens after I click on the icon or try to run it as the administrator
  • when I try to install "sophos auto update" it keeps giving me and error message "3059." It appears to be working and updating AV software, but control panel doesn't show that it is installed on the system.
  • the AV icon is not displayed in the system tray

Any help is much appreciated, thank guys!

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Looks like malware infection. The experts will be able to clean it up though.

You will need to read and follow the instructions found in the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, very carefully, as it has recently been updated. Please make sure you have gone through all the steps BEFORE posting for help... When you do post for help, make sure that you have posted all the required logs.

Good Luck, and be patient! The Malware Staff are very busy, but if it seems that you have been missed, after 3 whole days, you can post in the Waiting Room.. I recommend you to read the 3 days with no reply? thread first of course!

lucky-g

lucky-g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks piano9playa5.

I read the updated version of the removal guide and couldn't successfully install malwarebytes and otlistit2.
  • malwarebytes is installed on the desktop, but when I try to run it as administrator or not, nothing happens.
  • otlistit2 reaches to 99% then stalls at copying some file. keeps asking for permission. I even tried to install/run it from a USB key drive, but same result
Here's the rooter log:

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Sorry I didn't make myself clear (I'll update my canned) but you should start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal forum. Not here.

Link to start your post

By the way, if you can't run some of the tools, just let the helper know, as malware frequently blocks these things.

lucky-g

lucky-g

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
thanks piano9playa5,

just did it!

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Okay! :)

readlee

readlee

• Pip
  • 0 posts
I had the same problem....

Check your host file and your IP Address settings.

Click - Start / Run / and type: "notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts." and click OK

I found: "63.119.44.200 www.planetseller.com" in my host file, I removed that and any other entries I didn't know about (your host file can be blank if your not sure). Save and exit the host file.

Then when I checked my IP Address settings. Right click on "My Network Place", select properties, right click on my network adaptor, select properties again. Then scroll down to and select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the properties button, I found that my address was still set to: Obtain automatically, but my DNS was set to: Use the following.. and 2 addresses entered there which were not my DNS server (which should be my broadband router)! I set DNS back to: Obtain automatically and saved all the settings. Now just right click on your adaptor and run Repair, you should be ok then.

I just hope you don't have something in your registry reloading the settings at boot up!?

Hope this helps? - Cheers

Edited by readlee, 29 April 2009 - 01:05 AM.