Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Me dying

• Please log in to reply

camslp

camslp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
<_< I have a 3 year old Dell dimenson 4100 desktop. Recently it has be running slowly, freezing, etc. My kids were also fiddling with some programs. I did a system restore, which then caused problems with my Norton Internet Security, which I unistalled and re-installed following Symantec's instructions. My son tried re-installing Win ME over the current Win ME (don't ask!) and now I have more problems. I was told on the Microsoft site (rudely) to back up my files and format my hard drive and reinstall Win ME. Does that mean I have to re-install every program, driver, etc as well? I have 2 additional questions/comment: If I try to do that can I install Win XP instead (full or upgrade?) because Win ME has been a NIGHTMARE OR I have thought about geting a totally new DEll because this one may be "tired" Suggestions/help appreciated.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
yea i would really recommend really getting XP on that computer, get a windows XP disk, just put it in during boot up, and then when the menu pops up just do a normal clean install, everything should go fine and make sure you do a new format NTFS and not a quick format <_<

camslp

camslp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Explain NTFS thanxs <_<

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
ahh sry its nothing different then usual, its a type of format for your harddrive,

the reason i said that is because when you get windows XP and your about to format your harddrive, it just gives you an option to format in NTFS format or FAT and you want to go in NTFS, its kinda like if you want to run your car on gasoline or diesel