Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which video card can I upgrade to?

• Please log in to reply

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a Dell Optiplex GX260.

I will be upgrading the CPU to a Intel P4 3.06 GHz/512K/533FSB 478 socket.

I also would like to add a graphics card.

Which is my BEST possible choice of cards for this machine?

Other specs:
The current specs are:

RAM: 1.0 GB

Power Supply: 300watts

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
It looks like your system will only support an AGP video card.
I would strongly suggest saving your $$$ and investing in a newer system. You can purchase a intel dual core, 2gb of ram, a decent motherboard, as well as a nice video card for just under $300 dollars. Re-use you case, hard drive, and power supply if you wish.

Otherwise here is a link to AGP video cards at NewEgg.com
http://www.newegg.co.....alue=696:9639

Please note that PCI express cards can be just as inexpensive and will provided better results.

Hope this helps.

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I understand this is an older system. I have two other new systems in the house (Gateway GT5064 & Dell XPS laptop), however, our 7-year-old uses this system.

What is this the absolute BEST card that this machine will handle with the 3.06GHz CPU and 300W power supply? ( Because I know that this will be it's final upgrade and I want to push it to its max).

Can someone point to the best card (specific)?

Any other suggestions?

Reason for the upgrade is to run "Left 4 Dead" and in order to play we had to upgrade to the 3.06 CPU and upgrade the Graphics card.

Thanks for your help!

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Answering the following will help determine the best card for your machine.
Do you know if your motherboard supports AGP 8X graphics cards?
If not could you please post your motherboard brand and model.

Did you have a price range in mind?

I would suggest this card 3850 video card from sapphire it features 512MB of 256-bit GDDR3 memory and supports AGP 4X slots.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102730

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Answering the following will help determine the best card for your machine.
Do you know if your motherboard supports AGP 8X graphics cards?
If not could you please post your motherboard brand and model.

Did you have a price range in mind?

I would suggest this card 3850 video card from sapphire it features 512MB of 256-bit GDDR3 memory and supports AGP 4X slots.

I'm not sure about the 4x or 8x. The motherboard model is: Dell 02X378 with Intel i845G chipset.

I am not concerned with the price. I just want to get the BEST card possible that it will handle since this will be the last upgrade.

I hope this helps! Thanks.

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Anyone? Is this the BEST card that this machine will handle?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Kinney.

I really want you to understand that upgrading your video card also means you will probably need to upgrade the power supply. However, since you are using a Dell, it will be very difficult if impossible to find a power supply that will fit your case. Dell is well known for that and have seen many techs say the same thing.

Can you look on your power supply and see what the wattage is? The card that was mentioned in this post requires at least a 450 Watt Power Supply, not to mention the power supply is recommended to have a 2x4 power connector to plug onto the card.

With that said, check out this link given by a pinned topic in the "Games Forum" here. It lists the best cards that are out every month, and the best for the money.

AGP Cards This is about a year old, but you have to remember, AGP is very dated technology.

And the Introduction Here

Edit: And by the way, I believe your motherboard can support 2x/4x AGP. Anything that has the 4x should work. Even if it says 4x/8x.

Edited by Ferrari, 21 March 2009 - 07:28 PM.

Nimwe

Nimwe

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Most older AGP cards will require a minimum 300 watt powersupply. I found this card, but I would still have to agree that you would want to upgrade the powersupply as you would be pushing it pretty hard.

Edited by Nimwe, 22 March 2009 - 12:38 AM.

KINNEY1978

KINNEY1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Like I said, I have already upgraded to a 300 watt power supply. It wasn't that hard (not as hard as people say). I actually took it from a Gateway; imagine that! If I would need an power supply upgrade, I'm sure it's possible.

So basically the answer is the computer is old and no one can just tell me which is the best card because it's an old system.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Kinney,

This is pretty much the best card Newegg sells. They are THE place to go when looking for computer parts.

HIS RADEON

Remember, for this card you will have to have a better power supply, somewere in the 450 Watt range(it doesn't say so I'm guessing) and that power supply must have a 8 pin connector to plug into the card. I don't know if you are going to find a power supply that has a 8 pin that will fit a Dell Optiplex.

Also, remember, these high end video cards are very big, so it may not even fit your Optiplex Case, you will have to find the measurements of your case and of the video card and take into account anything that sticks up off the motherboard that would get in the way of the end of the Graphics Card or anything else in the case would get in the way of the card fitting.

Even when you build a new computer, some of these cards do not fit in the "Custom" Cases.

It really isn't very simple as "what is the best card" then go buy it and pop it in the case and onto the motherboard. There is a whole lot more to it.

ChevyManUSA

ChevyManUSA

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

HIS RADEON

I would suggest ordering this Sapphire card.
The HIS RADEON (linked above by Ferrari) is $83 dollars more, has a larger heat sink and is overclocked.
IMO you would be wasting money on that purchasing any card more than a $100-120 dollars. As you will be held back by your P4 processor.
Updating your graphics card in your dell will help it but only so far.

And just so we are clear.
I am recommending this Sapphire card as the Best Value, Best No-Nonsense, Best AGP 4X video card.

Hope this helps.