Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logon UI.EXE Bad Image Error windows/sys32/msimg32.dll error

• Please log in to reply

catrobinson01

catrobinson01

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My daughter was using her Dell Laptop taking notes all morning at school and put it to sleep for a 5 minute break for lunch. When she woke it back up it came up with the error message "Logon UI.exe. Bad Image c:/windows/system32/MSIMG32.dll Not designed to run on the laptop etc" and it will not boot up into windows at all, or in any mode. We used the installation disk that was sent with the system and booted via the disk and tried to use restore, but it did not fix the problem. The other system restore points showed that AVG did the latest upgrade the day before, so I went a week back to the last system restore point but alas it made no difference. I had her call Dell and they told her it was a software issue and they wanted to charge her a lot of money to "take remote control of her computer" and repair it. One tech thought it was a virus, even though her AVG was up and running until she shut it down for lunch. When I came home I called Dell and they walked me through several things and decided that the disk needed to be reformatted. She has a lot of her IB senior school work on the computer and would really like to NOT loose it if it is at all possible to fix it another way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

catrobinson01

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello catrobinson01

Welcome to GTG !

Quote: AVG was up and running until she shut it down for lunch

Because AVG was up to date and running does not clarify that you was not infected :)

any one AV prog can only protect 70% ( they cannot detect 100% ) , but on the other hand you cannot run 2 at any one time because they will conflict with each other eg: on-access protection of both AV's will try to access the same file at the same time causing a system lock-up

Quote: has a lot of her IB senior school work on the computer and would really like to NOT loose it if it is at all possible to fix it another way.

I am not very familular with data recovery , but if the drive has not been reformatted ... i know you will be able to either create another OS eg: linux , and recover that partion from there

OR

Have that hard drive with valuable data slaved to another master hard drive on anther computer that is working ok

BEST of luck

PS: iam thinking one of these 3 things have happened

1) Got a problem with your hardware (bad sector on disc?)
2) Contracted a virus which has tried to inject itself into a system DLL and
just succeeded in corrupting it
3) Installed a new driver, system patch, or something else that corrupted
the file

I advise you to boot from your original cd and use System File Checker ( SFC ) , enter into command prompt and type

SFC /SCANNOW ( Exactly how it is written :) , or it will not recognize the command ! )

this will Scan all protected system files immediately

System File Checker will also check and repopulate the %Systemroot%\system32\dllcache directory. If the dllcache directory becomes corrupted or unusable, SFC /SCANNOW, SFC /SCANONCE, SFC /SCANBOOT, or SFC /PURGECACHE can be used to repair the contents of the dllcache directory

if any files are corrupted they will be replaced from the original windows disk ( should be already in the cd-rom / dvd-drive )

This will ensure your windows is intact and none of your windows files is corrupted

Best of luck

PSS: this is just the starting point... ( give us somewhere to work from :) )

Anthony19

catrobinson01

catrobinson01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Anthony,

Thank you so much for the advice. I will begin today and let you know what happens!!

Thanks again,

Cheryl

catrobinson01

catrobinson01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, when I boot up via the cd I eventually get to the option to choose the command prompt. The initial promtp says

X:\Sources>

I add c: and enter

it brings up C:\>

I add the SFC /SCANNOW and it takes aminute or two, and then it says:

Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

I do not know how to get around this, sorry. The top of the c: prompt says that it is in Administrator: X;\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Any advice?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Have you attempted to boot into safe mode ???

If you are able to enter safe mode...

go to start > run > type " services.msc " without quotation marks ( " )

Check and ensure that the following are enabled and running

Windows Modules Installer (Service Name: msiserver).

Windows Installer (Service Name: TrustedInstaller).

If not they can be enabled by right clicking selecting properties

in the section " start-up type " change to automatic or manual

Hopefully that should resolve the issue :)

Best of luck !

Anthony19

catrobinson01

catrobinson01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It will not boot into any mode.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Quote: We used the installation disk that was sent with the system and booted via the disk and tried to use restore, but it did not fix the problem

Maybe boot from cd again.. check the services.. attempt to run windows file checker command again...

Best of luck !

IF NOT , i suggest you have a more knowledgeable folk guide you through the process of recovering the data from hard drive... then reformat...

Sorry i cannot help any further ( i dont know alot about data recovery , as i have never needed to do it... :) )

Happy computing

Anthony19