Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AVG Free Antivirus Support Ends Today. What Can I Replace It With?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I've used AVG FREE v7.5 for years... But the update support ends today as Grisoft want's to end the program's usage for everyone. I chose AVG because it uses little to no ram. & through the years I've never been infected with a major virus it couldn't handle.

The most IMPORTANT reason why I've used AVG has been the fact that the only pc I own is a 1.4GHz Pentium 3, with 512mb of ram. I know this sucks but this is all I can afford right now.

Can anyone suggest any FREE anitvirus application that I can run on this machine that's so old? I need my memory free of any application hoggers or it'll run slow. Or can someone at least tell me how to install the newest AVG which is 8.0 and set it up like the old v7.5? Because I hear that the new AVG v8.0 slows your system down... Or at least does so if you don't set it up properly during installation I believe.

PLEASE HELP TODAY'S MY LAST DAY FOR AVG V7.5!! MY SYSTEM WILL BE UNPROTECTED!!!

Edited by superstar, 18 March 2009 - 09:34 PM.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
There is an excellent list of free products that can be found here.

Just a few things to add though; Comodo is much more known for their firewall than their AV, so I recommend you choose to install only the firewall during installation if you need a firewall.

Only use ONE firewall and ONE AV at a time... Antispyware(s) don't count, as long as they aren't running in real-time.

And I would forget about AVG. There have been so many problems with installation and running, as well as the problems you've mentioned, that it would be better to leave it for now. Perhaps they will clean it up eventually :)

Edited by piano9playa5, 19 March 2009 - 03:48 PM.

XXP

XXP

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Can't figure what's going on here. AVG Free edition is still available and is at v8.0.238 released less than two days ago.

It's still great, still quick -- if not downright fast -- and still free.

As always; you need to make sure that you find the the Free version and not the "30-day free trial" of the paid version.

The free one can be found here: http://Free.AVG.com

No; I don't work for them but I do like getting a good product for free. FYI: it is quick enough that I have no trouble recommending it for clients who prefer to pay.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
AVG 8 has many problems, starting with installation. For most people, it is easier to find a new AV rather than trying to solve the problems. Of course problems don't occur with everyone. You are an example of that. :)

Hope I got that right...

bpayne

bpayne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have you tried this open source antivirus?... http://www.clamwin.com/ I cannot speak to its effectiveness, but it would probably fit your specs.

XXP

XXP

• Pip
  • 4 posts

AVG 8 has many problems, starting with installation. ...

Hope I got that right...

Nope; you really didn't. You've got to be thinking of some other product.

I've installed AVG on literally hundreds of computers and will only install NOD or AVG for my clients. Neither I nor my clients have never had a problem with AVG. (NOD can sometimes be a PIA, but never AVG.)

The only problem that clients have ever had with it -- if you can call it "a problem" -- is when they want the free one and download the "30 day free trial" by mistake. Then they get bugged by the pestering popup.

Some people run into issues if they try to install any antivirus on a computer that is loaded with any or all of:
  • one or more other antivirus programs
  • certain anti-spyware/adware programs (especially if in bad multiples)
  • existing malware that is preventing/blocking/damaging ANY antivirus program
  • a bunch of "helper" crap resident programs for "registry cleaning" and other B.S. (for "Bog-down System")
  • an owner that doesn't know how to do a System Restore or how to start Safe Mode to clear out the crud.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

I trust Broni's opinion. Anyways, it doesn't matter which AV is the best or the worst in someones opinion, because the only opinion that really matters here is superstar's..

Edited by piano9playa5, 25 March 2009 - 01:55 PM.

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
With all due respect but I think piano9playa5 is right. The only good thing AVG ever made was their antispyware. From there on they gained trust and ppl starting buying other products of AVG.

It's quite rare that a software manufacturer scores very well in every product they make. That's why I rarely use those AIO's. Look for tests and you'll see AVG scores bad; bad as in not recommended. You can DL the pdf file from this link.

http://www.matousec....nge/results.php

Scroll down and look for AVG Internet Security 8.0.9.3 (score 6%)

I'm using Outpost that scores excellent (93%). BTW these ppl do very secure tests. I trust them to know things alot more than I do.

Oh and look for the lame to very lame excuses AVG came up with to justify the bad behaviour of their product.

Now I agree Outpost is not free. Look for something that's free among the products in the test.

Oh and for antivirus I use Avira for several years. But only as an antivirus, not as a suite. It scores bad as a suite in the test BTW (11%). I could show you other tests where it scores very well as a standalone free antivirus. Which proves my point that I wouldn't recommend AIO's.

Edited by JimB007, 25 March 2009 - 02:08 PM.