Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Going nutz with mom's Laptop

• Please log in to reply

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I'm trying to get her wireless internet to work. She has a d'link dwl-g630 cardbus, but I can't seem to get it to work. The computer recognizes it but connection failes upon enabling it. Any iydeas? If I have it wired it works, but when tryying to go wireless it doens't do anything.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey mcdanielnc89,

Please follow the steps outlined in SpaceCowboy's networking tutorial -- Wireless Home Network OS Setup (1 to ?? PC’s), as this should allow you to setup your wireless connection.

As a note, you may wish to configure WPA encryption, instead of WEP. If you have already tried these steps, and the issue persists, please post back and we will look into this further.

- Dan

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Okay, I got it to work, but can't use passwords, LOL. no idea why.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
By passwords, I assume you mean encryption? What type of encryption did you try to setup? What OS does your mom's laptop have installed?

Can you please elaborate on "cant use passwords"? What happens? When does it go wrong? What steps do you take to try to set it up? Have you installed the latest drivers for your mom's network adapter?

Thanks,
- Dan.