Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Challenges for the experts

• Please log in to reply

filmNut

filmNut

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
im sure this is answered in full with the use of many topics, yet i feel my situation is unique.

what i have is a ASUS 2G surf Eee notebook: http://eeepc.asus.co...uct700.html?n=0 with a built in webcam, that only works like a camera for a specific program on the notebook.

second, i have a PC (which i will just say simply IS compatible) which is hooked up to the internet with a motorola modem, i use the pc through the ethernet cord, and i have been able to get the Eee PC to connect through this modem with its secondary USB jack. so the internet connection works fine.

my first question/challenge is do you know of a way i can connect them (meaning network, i want almost remote assitance capabilities so to speak) together only through this connection, since all my other ports are tied up with other things.

i went ahead and tried the usual networking wizard process and i think i messed it up, or did it wrong. id like to delete this networking mistake and do another one the right way.

my second question/challenge is once this is done how do you think IF POSSIBLE i can tap into just the webcam and have it work on my PC for things like MSN etc.

a tough one maybe, any info, tutorials etc, greatly appreciated...

fN

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey fN,

Are both machines connected directly to the modem? If you only have the two machines connected via a modem, then there's no way for you to setup a conventional network, without adding extra hardware into the equation.

You might be able to setup Remote Desktop management (depending on your OS versions), as you may get the required functionality from that.

- Dan

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
yes they are both connected through the modem, the PC OS is windows xp, and the eeepc is linux - ideally i wanna have control over the eee pc to change the OS to windows

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
With your existing hardware, there's no way for you to network the two machines. You can either buy additional NIC's and setup an ad-hoc network (not recommended) or buy a router (recommended) and setup a more conventional network. Although, I suppose I really should ask -- does your modem have an inbuilt router? What's the make and model of your modem?

In regards to the "remote assistance", I don't know of any way for you to achieve such a thing between Linux and Windows.

- Dan

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Motorola - SB5101 (SURFBOARD) Series Cable Modem: http://www.motorola....0008406b00aRCRD,

I'm not sure if it has a built in router, two comps are using the internet at the same time though...

fN

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
To quote your modem's manual:

You can connect:
Two computers; one to the USB port and one to the Ethernet port

In order to connect more machines, you will need to purchase a hub/switch/router. What this means is that the modem does not have an inbuilt router, and will therefore not allow you to setup a conventional network. Sadly, this means that you will need to purchase extra hardware in order to setup a network.

So, I can't see any way for you to achieve what you want to. Perhaps another user will be able to provide you with some more useful advice.

- Dan

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
dang :) okay that answers that part... so let's say i get it all set up, do you think i could then tap into just the webcam of Eee Pc?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Could you expand on exactly what you mean by "tap into"? What sorts of things are you hoping to do?

At this stage, I don't think you'll be able to do what you want to do (so I wouldn't recommend buying extra hardware), but I may be misunderstanding exactly what it is you are trying to do. If you can elaborate with some examples, that may help. I seem to be the bearer of bad news in this thread. :)

- Dan

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
most of all i would like to use my EeePC webcam externally as if it was mounted to the top of my PC monitor (so to speak) without buying a clip on webcam since i feel i already own one inside the Eee PC... for example log onto MSN with my PC and select a webcam conversation, but use the webcam from the Eee PC...

fN

Edited by filmNut, 21 March 2009 - 07:39 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ah, I see. If that's what you want to do, you may not need a network setup. There are applications which will transmit webcam data over the Internet (although this will chew through your bandwidth and Internet usage). However, I've never used any of these types of applications, so I cannot comment on their effectiveness/functionality. I'm not sure if it will allow you to plug the data into MSN messenger, or if it simply captures the data for you. But there is software out there that might work for you.

My best advice to you would be to start a new thread in our Applications forum, as they may be able to provide you with more accurate feedback.

Good luck. :)
- Dan