Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acess denied in services.mcs for automatic update

• Please log in to reply

goofy_2571

goofy_2571

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am unable to do Windows Update, I get an error message;

-Error number: 0x8024D007 The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.

I go to (run, service.msc) in Automatic update it is disabled, when I set it to automatic, I get a message "access denied".

I check (run, eventvwr) in system I have an error log that reads;

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7028
Date: 3/19/2009
Time: 2:11:12 PM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-RVLNHR6V8D
Description:
The wuauserv Registry key denied access to SYSTEM account programs so the Service Control Manager took ownership of the Registry key.

I have been dealing with this for 2 weeks now. It all began when a friend downloaded a program from limewire. Please help I dont want to buy a new comp.

Edited by goofy_2571, 19 March 2009 - 03:28 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello goofy_2571...

Sounds like your friend invited an infection into your machine. Limewire is a great place for that kind of thing.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post the requested logs in a new topic HERE. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

goofy_2571

goofy_2571

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I went to the Malware removal steps but my original problem still exists.

I am unable to do Windows Update, I get an error message;

-Error number: 0x8024D007 The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.

I go to (run, service.msc) in Automatic update it is disabled, when I set it to automatic, I get a message "access denied".

I check (run, eventvwr) in system I have an error log that reads;

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7028
Date: 3/19/2009
Time: 2:11:12 PM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-RVLNHR6V8D
Description:
The wuauserv Registry key denied access to SYSTEM account programs so the Service Control Manager took ownership of the Registry key.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You went thru the steps but did a technician examine your logs and help you scan with other software to get rid of all traces of any virus or malware? If not then you may be infected.

goofy_2571

goofy_2571

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yes a tech went through my logs and said they were clean.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You say
"I have been dealing with this for 2 weeks now. It all began when a friend downloaded a program from limewire. Please help I dont want to buy a new comp. "

Was the problem happening before this?
When did you have the malware work done?
What program did your friend download?

Limewire is a invitation for problems. I suggest you uninstall it.

Edited by rshaffer61, 02 April 2009 - 06:30 PM.

goofy_2571

goofy_2571

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
problem never happened before.
Malware work was done after the problem began.
He downloaded some dj music mix but i have uninstalled it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the "Open" field and click "Ok". A command session window will open.

At the command session prompt, type each of the following...pressing Enter after each:

net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
net start wuauserv
exit

Try Windows Update

goofy_2571

goofy_2571

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I got an error message after "net start wuauserv"

message reads;

"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devises associated with it."

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot into Safe Mode and log in to the Administrator account.

Open Services and see if you enable and start the service from there.

goofy_2571

goofy_2571

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I boot into Safe Mode and log in to the Administrator account.

Open Services and and tried to enable and start the service from there but I got an error message "Access denied"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download Dial a Fix and save it somewhere you can find it...preferably not the desktop. Right click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All"...click "Next", then click "Next" again. Tick the box to "Show extracted files" and click "Finish".

In the Window that opens, double click on the Dial a Fix folder, then double click on "Dial-a-fix.exe" to open the application.

In the Dial-a-fix window, tick the box next to "Fix Windows Update", then click on "FlushSoftwareDistribution"...Click "Yes" to the dialog window and let it flush the folder. Once that completes, click on the "Go" button and let it try to re-register the dll files. When it says "Ready" under the Go button, click the "Exit" button.

See if you can access the Windows Update page.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I've seen quite a lot of infections that will change the permissions in the registry.
And that requires resetting the permissions just to get access, then the rest of the troubleshooting has to be done again :)

Here's some links on resetting registry permissions:
http://usasma.vox.co...ted18oct08.html
http://usasma.vox.co...ed-16dec08.html

goofy_2571

goofy_2571

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
wannabe1

I ran the dial-a-fix. in services, automatic updates have been started however when i run a windows update i get error message number 0x80070020.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's progress... :)

0x80070020 is a pretty generic error, but Microsoft has provided some good steps to take HERE.