Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I have tried everything I know to remove virus's and whatever else is on my computer. I have went to the malware removal forum and can't seem to get any help (that post is under 'back once agai'), so since I am in need of my computer, I need to reformat the C drive in order to wipe off all the malware that is on it.

I have the bootable disk of Eban and would like to know how I use it to wipe the drive clean before I reinstall windows.

I do NOT want to wipe the other 3 drives and I need to know how do I figure out which drive I am wiping clean. I started to use eban and I don't know how to tell which drive is which. It doesn't show which letter the drives are. I need help in making sure I don't wipe off any of the other drives.

Can anyone here help me?

Thank you

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
these 3 drives that you mention; are this three partitions on the same hard disk or are these 3 seperate hard disks?

1: During windows installtion the disk is formatted. You don't need any other program.

2: If theses are seperate disks then you can disconnect the cables that connect them to the motherboard, leave only the one on which you want to install windows and proceed with windows installation.

3: If theses are partitions on the same disk you can start windows installation, delete only the partition with the operating system (C, usually), create a new partition, format and install windows. The other 3 partitions will not be affected.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
They are on a seperate hard drive.

But I am not comfortable with getting into the computer and unplugging things. Is there no other way of doing this?

As far as installing windows over the existing windows, I tried that and I still have all the virus's. So unless you can tell me a different way of installing windows, I don't know how to do it. I booted from the CD and hit install when it asked if I wanted to install windows. As I said, all the virus's are still there so I am under the impression that I will need to wipe it clean and do a whole new install of windows.

If there is another way of fixing this, please advise.

Update:
I just turned on computer and it won't boot up. I tried to install, but I do not know which drive to install it to. As I said, it does not give the letters of the drives. They both say they are unpartitioned but I kow the second drive is partitioned into three drives.
I could really use some help here to figure this out.

Thank you

Edited by woodworks, 20 March 2009 - 06:22 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I suggested to disconnect the other drive only to make 100% sure that the data is not wiped off acceidently. If you remember which is the one that you want to save, just open the left cover of the box (when looked from the front) and diconnect the flat cable that connects the hard disk to the motrherboard. It's very simple. If you are still worried, start the installation of XP. At a certain stage all your partition will show up. The damaged one will show as un-allocated (raw). Follow the instructions and delete this partition then recreate it, format and go ahead with the installation.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Well I didn't unplug the drive because as I said, I had/have NO idea which one it was.

I installed windows and everything went ok until I found that now the computer doesn't recognize my D, E & F drives.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem without loosing everything on them? I have EVERYTHING on these drives. I only install to the C drive the things that NEED to be there. Everythng esle goes to these other drives so that if it crashes, I don't loose everything. I hope I didn't mess up.

Thank you

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since you have such important data and since you are not sure about going deeper into the hardware you may be better off consulting someone who can take things further. The problem can be with a hardware connection, incorrect jumper set-up, BIOS that needs resetting etc.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
If I had money to consult someone I wouldn't be here. No offense intended.

Why would the jumpers be any different then what they were when they worked just fine before?

If you have a way of helping me figure out which one is which, and you can tell me how to fix it, then I'm willing to try.

Thank you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello woodworks...

Are the drives visible in Computer Management? Are they initialized?

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". In the left pane, click on "Disk Management". Do the drives show up in the right pane?

If they do, click on one of the "missing" partitions and see if it tells you it needs to be initialized. If it does tell you that, right click on the icon just to the left of the partition info and choose "Initialize".

Let us know what you find...

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I appreciate your point view and take no offence at all. Tight budget is a universal problem. If you are willing to deal with the jumpers then you must be able to check the hard disks connections, because it's more simple. Switch the computer off and open the computer box. Make sure that all the connections to the hard disk are secure.

Next boot into BIOS and see if your second disk is recognized there. To enter the BIOS you tap the DELETE or F2 key immediately upon starting the computer.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
wannabe1, glad to see you and thank you for stepping in to help. The more of you there are, the better off I am.

Ok, I looked and there are two box's, one at the top and one at the bottom. The only one at the top is the C drive and it says that it is Dist 0. In the box below it also has the C drive as disk 0 and then below that ne it says Disk 1 and it says it is unallocated.

Hopefully that tells you something. I'm monitoring this thread so I can get you guys to help whil I'm on here.

Thank you again to both of you.

BTW, I went into the setup/F2 when I first booted up and it has the C drive, but not the other ones. I went on into the setup and it is there, but I don't know anything past that as to what to do.

Edited by woodworks, 21 March 2009 - 11:58 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you post a screenshot of what you see in computer management?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Can you tell me a way of doing that? I used to hace screen shot but not now.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download WinSnap from the link in my signature. Once installed, there is a dropdown menu in the application where you can choose "Region". Use that setting to capture the Management window and post it here for us. You'll need to save the image to your HDD before you'll be able to attach it.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I hope this tells you something. At least I hope I did it correctly.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

I appreciate your point view and take no offence at all. Tight budget is a universal problem. If you are willing to deal with the jumpers then you must be able to check the hard disks connections, because it's more simple. Switch the computer off and open the computer box. Make sure that all the connections to the hard disk are secure.

Next boot into BIOS and see if your second disk is recognized there. To enter the BIOS you tap the DELETE or F2 key immediately upon starting the computer.

BTW, I went into the setup/F2 when I first booted up and it has the C drive, but not the other ones. I went on into the setup and it is there, but I don't know anything past that as to what to do.