Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat

• Please log in to reply

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Seems that the Disk 2 was attempted to be formatted, but aborted. The partition is corrupted. There is no way data can be transferred from that drive.

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
That's the difference between the one's you pay for and a free one.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Also something I had asked earlier. I saw my music files on this when we first started this. That music is on the F drive which is on the second HD.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
GetDataBack is a good program...but it's not free. You can try running it again (the NTFS version - 1st download I gave you) and see if it can find the data again. You still won't be able to recover the data without purchasing the license...it won't allow you to copy the files.

I've seen GDB recover files from some really messed up drives, but it's always a bit of a crap shoot.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Also something I had asked earlier. I saw my music files on this when we first started this. That music is on the F drive which is on the second HD.

I am afraid that is lost.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

GetDataBack is a good program...but it's not free. You can try running it again (the NTFS version - 1st download I gave you) and see if it can find the data again. You still won't be able to recover the data without purchasing the license...it won't allow you to copy the files.

I've seen GDB recover files from some really messed up drives, but it's always a bit of a crap shoot.

When you say it won't allow me to copy files, it allowed me to copy some of the pictures. I had some pictures that it found and I double clicked on them and they came up and I copied them to my external drive. I also moved some movies that were on there, but so far I haven't been able to get them to play, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with them yet.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Nice team work, guys! :)

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, now my question is this

After I figure out if I can get anything off of it, can you guys help me to reinstate that drive and make it work again?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Absolutey!

See what you can recover, if anything, and let us know when you are ready to prep the drive. :)

I hate it when it comes down to this...I think we'd all prefer happy endings.

Good luck with the recovery, woodworks...I hope you can recover more than we think you can.

Nice work everyone... :)

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
HEY EVERYONE!

Thank you so much. I will be back when I am ready to get it fixed all the way. I appreciate everything ALL of you did for me.

Glad to know you folks.

Edited by woodworks, 22 March 2009 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
It's been a ride, I'm glad to have worked with everyone and hope we can do it again in the future!!! :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I doubt if this will help at this stage but no harm trying a fifferent, running-from-memory, operating system like Linux, and get completely out of windows environment. If you wish to give it a try:

Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. Use the default setting except for choosing screen resolution of 600x800 when given the option to do so. After the program is loaded click the icon that looks like flash disk. This will open the file system and will enable browsing your folders. Find the folders that you want to backup, copy and paste them to another storage device.

If the computer doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Hey Folks I'm Back

Ok here is what has been going on since you guys helped me out...

JSntgRvr

You were incorrect when you said that nothing couldn't be gotten off of that drive. I was able to get about 90% of everything back again and I didn't purchase anything.
I just used the GDB that wannab1 gave me in the first place. I would have been able to recover my music, but I would have had to do it song by song and I had well over 1000 of them. Since I have CD''s for most of the music, I will go that route again. What I don't have on CD, I will just have to purchase again or find some other way.

The rest of it I did have to do the long way. I had to copy everything one by one. It wouldn't let me make a mirror of the drive, but it did allow me to view the files and from there I was able to copy them to my external drive. The only thing I wanted was my photo's and videos and I got the important ones and the ones that were damaged, or wouldn't open, I don't really care about.

Thank you very much wannab1 for that link. If in the future I am able to purchase this type of software, I will certainly be looking at this one, it seems to be a really good one.

Ok, now if any of you guys could help me once again, I need to have you help me fix that second hard drive to work again. I don't know how to get the computer to recognize that drive.

And once again to ALL of you, Thank you so much for the time and effort you guys have put into this for me. It is well appreciated and I can't thank you enough.

Edited by woodworks, 27 March 2009 - 01:38 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great news! I'm impressed that you were able to recover that much data without having to buy the software... :)

Ok...let's see if we can find that HDD and get it prepped. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". In the left pane, click on "Disk Management". Look in the right pane (once it populates) and see if your drive is shown there and if it gives any information on it.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Hi wannab1
Glad to see you here.

This is what I see when I do as you say...