Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

How come I learn this stuff after everything gets screwed up?

patients is a virtue,but timing is everything

Looking back you can always see where you messed up

We have all been there!

A-men

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok what does this tell us???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That tells us that your files are still there and intact...and that GetDataBack can recover them.

Now...the question is...do you want to purchase this program or try a couple free ones. Things to consider...GDB has the files assembled and ready to recover and when you close the program, you will have to start over. Many free programs may work or they may not. I haven't had very good success with the free versions...some others have had good success. Ya just never know.

I think the license for GDB is $79.00 and, in my opinion, it's worth every dime.

I guess you have a choice to make, but at least we know where we stand.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I'm looking at this and I think this is only the F drive. I don't see anything that was on the D and E drives.

Any idea where those might be?

As far as pruchasing, I don't have that kind of money. I would agree with you about it being worth it, but it doesn't do much good if I can't afford it.

I would also be inclined to agree with you about the free ones. I don't mind starting over if it works, but let me ask you this...Is there a chance that by trying these free ones, it will loose any of these files?

Also, why do you think it didn't find the other two drives or partitions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were they maybe FAT32 partitions?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
To the best of my knowldege, but it's been so long ago, I don't really know anymore.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That version of GDB will only detect the NTFS file system.

Try GetDataBack for FAT32 and see if it will pick up the other partitions.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok I wil.

What do you suggest for the free ones to try?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I really haven't found a free one that I'd recommend, and haven't tried many since I got both versions of GetDataBack. I think I've seen The Skeptic mention some...maybe wait and see if he has something to add. Magglass might also be able to help you with free versions.

Now let's see if we can find the rest of the data. If you did have them formatted to FAT32, GDB should find them. If there's no FAT system, it'll let you know that, too.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Can I leave this open while I run the other one?

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I can't help out with free one's, never had any luck with them.
I know you can't afford this, it's just another option.

FYI, wannbe1, I have used getdataback in the past. It does work great. I switched to r-studio, because it does all formats (FAT (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32), NTFS, NTFS5,HFS/HFS+ (Macintosh), Little and Big Endian variants of UFS1/UFS2 (FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD/Solaris) and Ext2FS/Ext3FS (Linux). The price on their site is $79.99

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've never tried it with another version open, woodworks. Give it a try and see what happens...at worst you'll just have to run it again.

Looks like an impressive application, Magglass. I'll give it a try the next time I have to do a recovery. Thanks for the heads up.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Wait, I thought that is what I'm running now. Do I want to run it again at the same tme this is open? Or am I supposed to run something else?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The second link I gave you was for the FAT32 version of GDB...that's the one you should run to see if you had made the other two partitions FAT instead of NTFS.

The first one I had you try is for NTFS file systems only.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I will have to go back and try to find it and make sure it is the right one.

Do you know how far back it was?

Edited by woodworks, 21 March 2009 - 10:18 PM.