Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

I juumped the gun, the other one was 7% finished.
It hasn't scanned the whole drive yet?
That's why you may not have seen the files on your other partitions.

No, it had finished scanning. I had tried to do a mirror image onto my external HD and it was 7% done when you said to shut it down.

After I had the problem with IE, I had to restart the computer. As soon as it came up, it has detected a bunch of virus's. This is what started this whole thing from the start. I couldn't get the virus's off and that is why I had to reinstall windows. Now it is doing the exact same thing.

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
OK, I would suggest you open a post in the malware forum.
Have them resolve your Virus issue's.

It's 2am, where I am, we can resume this in the morning.
I'm off to bed.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Same time here.

The problem with opening the other post is that I already have and it didn't work. Only one post to fix it and I tried to do as they said and it just didn't work, it got worse instead.

If you would like to read the post it is listed under the malware virus removal as "Back once agan".

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I'll take a look in the morning.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Thanks for the help. Talk with you tomorrow.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Your Welcome!

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
UPDATE: 7:20 AM Ohio time

After getting out of here, I ran an AVG virus scan. It came up with 242 virus's and healed/removed 221 of them. It said the others were being used and couldn't be removed.
It then said it needed to restart the computer and I said yes. It took approxamately 5 or 6 minutes to actually shut down.

On restart, it came up to the desktop but had no taskbar. When different desktop items were clicked the only thing that would open was AVG. Ran another scan and it didn't come up with anything. Rebooted into safe mode and the same thing happened. Tried to run AVG scan and it would run for app 4 or 5 minutes and then just stop.

Windows will no longer boot up past what I have just described. Nothing will load, everything just says it has some kind of error. Both GDB programs say they are corrupted and will not load.

I am now on a different computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by woodworks, 22 March 2009 - 05:22 AM.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
First clear up something for me.

If this=TRUE

With trial versions, it will do the search, but will not finish the recovery until you purchase a license

and this=TRUE

As far as pruchasing, I don't have that kind of money

Then this should be=False

The NTFS is only about 7% done so far.

Since the above = FALSE.

What are you doing to accomplish this?

I had tried to do a mirror image onto my external HD

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, let me see if I can explain.

I just happened to be looking around and say where I could do a mirror image to another drive. Well I highlighted everything that was in the box and then opened up one of the tabs on the program. It gave me the option of making a mirror image. I started that and when I was talking to you, it had only reached about 7% done.

Well after I talked with you and then the thing came up that it couldn't copy to the drive that I had given it. It stopped on it's own. So I had to shut that down and when I did, that is when all the virus's started showing up and the thing went haywire on me.

Hopefully that explains it.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
OK, give me a few minutes to look at the malware info.
At this point we'll be doing a reinstall, I do want to see the results of their work first.

PLEASE don't start doing anything until I get back to you. I have questions that need to be answered before we start.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
No problem. I'll sit here and twiddly my thumbs like I have been doing. At least that doesn't get me in trouble.

I have a question for you. Is it possible that the virus's are on my other drive and when I tried to copy them, that is why I started getting the virus's? I hope that isn't the case, but I don't know.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
That machine was/possibly is, seriously infected!!!

Make and model of your system.

Do you have the original Windows CD that came with that machine?
Do you have a Drivers Disc or one that says Motherboard on it?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Don't know the make and model. I told someone what I wanted it to do, they told me what to order, I ordered it. It didn't come with a windows cd so I had to purchase one through Ebay. As I had stated earlier, it put everything on the computer execpt for the last couple of times I used it. To the best of my knowledge it is everything I need. That is what is on this computer I'm using now. The only things it didn't do was to put the microsoft word and all of that on the other comoputers. This one has it.

Hopefully that asnwers your questions. The only thing I had to go look for after installing on that computer was to update or find the driver for my audio.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
BTW

The computer I am now on, I bought through ebay used. It came with a set of CD's that was made by the seller. The seller built computers and so when I bought this one, he sent along the CD's and they are stated as Mother board Drivers ~ (PCI) NIC Drivers...The next disk is Windows XP with the key printed on it...The next disk is labled as Office XP with Key built in.

But BOTH computers have crashed and I had to reinstall windows again and I used the NEW disk to do that.

Edited by woodworks, 22 March 2009 - 07:04 AM.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
OK, sounds like you have all you need.

Lets get started on the right foot this time. We'll use skeptics suggestion, with my twist.
Unplug the power cord on one of your drives.
If you get lucky, your OS will boot to the point you stated in your post from this morning.
If this is the case we are ready to start.

If not, plug that one back in and unplug the power from the other one.

Edited by Magglass, 22 March 2009 - 07:06 AM.