Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok
This is going to take me a little bit of time because I have to go back and forth to each computer. I've got a big house and it takes me a few minutes to get from one place to the other. After I unplug and find out which one is which, what do you want me to do then?

Ok, I found the right one after I unplugged the wrong one first. I booted up but I did NOT unplug the second drive from the mother board. Do you want me to shut down and unplug it, or is it ok the way it is just being unplugged from the power?

Still not taskbar to work with.

Edited by woodworks, 22 March 2009 - 07:19 AM.

Advertisements

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Put your windows CD, boot from it, you'll be given the option to delete the partition, then create a new partition and format it,then install windows into that partition.

Somewhere in there is says it found another installation. We Don't care about that one, we need to make SURE, the partition has been deleted.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
We crossed paths. You only need to deal with the power connections.
If the drive has no power your not going to be able to write to it.
As as long as the Drive with the power plugged into it is the one with your OS.
your good to go.

Edited by Magglass, 22 March 2009 - 07:26 AM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I am formatting it now. it says it's 10% done. I took the long one instead of the quick option. So far I haven't seen anything about the previous install.

Quick question:
What happens if the virus's are on the second drive? Won't all of this be for nothing? As much as I would absolutely hate to loose everything, I hate to have to keep doing this over and over.

And once again, I want to thank you and everyone else for helping me get this fixed.

BTW, will I need to be on the internet for awhile with that computer? I have the connection disabled so that I can use my laptop in here so I don't have to run all over this house. I only have the one cord coming to this computer so if I need to get online with the desktop, I will have to unplug the laptop.

Edited by woodworks, 22 March 2009 - 07:50 AM.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

What happens if the virus's are on the second drive?

Before you worry about that, you have to figure out whether you going to buy or find a free recovery tool that works.
I'm sure the malware folks have something that you will be able to boot from a cd, then check out the recovered data. If you really want to be safe. Unplug the power from the drive you are rebuilding now, that way, there is NO chance of the viri getting on it.

will I need to be on the internet for awhile with that computer?

NO, it will take some time for the install and after that we'll need to install the drivers.

Edited by Magglass, 22 March 2009 - 07:59 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Morning guys...

Sorry I disappeared last night...lost my internet and when it hadn't come back up after 30 minutes, I went to bed.

woodworks, if you have been infected with what I suspect is on there, we're going to have to proceed very carefully...particularly so with the drive you've copied files to. Once formatted, the system drive will be ok, but any drive you've copied files to is going to be suspect. Just by the behavior I've seen, it looks like you've been infected with a file infector (possibly virut). I'll want to consult with a malware expert before you reconnect any drives other than the system drive.

Go ahead and finish up the format/install so you've got a running system, but do not reconnect any other drive to the machine at this time.

Magglass, thanks for stepping in when I was unable to respond... :)

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Good morning wannabe1.

thanks for stepping in when I was unable to respond

Your welcome!

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Welcome back wannabe1 Also hello 123runner, haven't seen you for awhile.

Setup is copying files right now. It's at about 65%.

Last night I was able to right click on some of the photo's that GDB found and I was able to copy them to my external drive. Do you think I am going to have trouble with that? Also, one of the malware or whatever it is that I kept seeing was win32.

Ok, it is done with copying files and is now installing. It says 39 minutes to completion. I'll let you know when it is finished.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
virut's proper designation is Win32.virut........and it's really nasty. We'll need to proceed very cautiously.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok it's installed. I hooked up the internet long enough to register the copy. I'm back on the laptop so if you need me to connect the desktop just tell me and I will.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the 30 day free trial of ESET Smart Security 4 from the machine you are on now. We'll replace it with a free protection program when we're finished, but let's put a strong security suite in place for the time being. You can burn this to a cd or copy the installer to a flash drive to install it on the desktop. Once you have it installed, connect to the internet with the desktop and update the ESET software.

Do not connect any other drives to the desktop yet.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
On the drivers disc, see if there is a setup program.
If not, it's not a problem, I'm just not sure what the person who gave you the disc, put on it.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Before you check the drivers disc, download, ESET per wannabe1
Then since you do have a connection to the network. lets see if MS found all of your drivers.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I'm lost. I installed the windows xp pro from the OEM. I didn't use the disk that came with the used computer. Did I mess up?

I don't know what you mean by d/l from the computer I'm on now. PLUS I'm not sure if this laptop will burn or not. I can go back and get on my other desktop for that if I need to burn a cd.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have to, you can use the desktop to download and install ESET, but only stay online long enough to download the application. We want to prevent any possible infection from slipping in before we get the system drive protected.