Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to reformat

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You shouldn't have to download it again if you've already downloaded. Just re-run the installer.

Copy and paste the user name and password to notepad...that way you can copy and paste them to the ESET install when you're prompted. The user name should start with TRIAL- and the password should be a combination of numbers and lower case letters.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
wannabe1, that is the problem. I have not d/l it. It wouldn't take my password. I don't have it and it won't let me get it again. But in reality, it won't let me get it at all.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
By the way, I am online with the desktop. I had to install IE7 and I installed AVG 8 free.

I got online with this one in order to d/l ESET but it didn't work. So what would you like me to do now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As you have AVG installed, let's go with that.

File infector viri typically only infect .exe and .src files. When we start trying to recover your data, we'll want to leave those files alone and only try to recover your data files. We do not want to restore the image you saved as it is likely full of infection. It's ok for now so long as we don't attempt to restore it to the system.

Download and install PC Inspector. Once you have it installed, we'll see if we can get a look at one of your other drives.

Let us know when you have completed installing this free recovery application.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I all screwed up here. IE says it can't open the internet site.

I'm about ready to throw this thing in the junk pile. I don't know what is going on with it.

Ok, I went into my other desktop and the same thing happens there. It says IE cannot open internet site.

Edited by woodworks, 22 March 2009 - 10:44 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if you can download and install Firefox. Then try the site using that for a browser.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
ftp or http?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
http

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, finally it lis installed. Now what?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now we want to shut down the machine and reconnect the drive you disconnected earlier. Power back up and scan with AVG. Then run the PC Inspector and see if it will find your data.

Make sure that you have no other drives connected. Just the system drive and the slave.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok
Do you want me to do all of that before I get back on here and let you know what it did or is doing?

BTW, it seems that whenever I do the scan, it seems to effect the C drive and fills it full of the virus's. What should I do then? It will tell me that it can't find some and some it can't heal.

Forgot, should I install anti malware or anything else?

Edited by woodworks, 22 March 2009 - 11:16 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
One step at a time...

Just connect the slave drive and scan the whole computer with AVG...let it do it's thing. I don't know that it will even see the slave during the scan judging from what we saw last night...this is just a precaution.

Then try the PC Inspector and see if it can locate your data on the slave.

Keep us apprised of your progress... :)

I'm going to be stepping out to run some errands, but will be back on in a little while. Until I return, Magglass has graciously offered his assistance.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I'm off to the computer factory.

Again, Thank You Very Much

I'll let you know how it is goin.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok I need some help to figure out how to use this pc thing. I don't understand how it is supposed to work or how to work it. Can you give me some pointers?

Thanks

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hang on a minute, I haven't used that one. I'll install and get back to you.