Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help reattaching heatsink to mobo

• Please log in to reply

black sunshine

black sunshine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My pc shutdown so I opened it up to find the heatsink sitting on the videocard. Now, there are four hooks attached to each corner of the motherboard where the heatsink sits but I only have two "arms" on the heatsink itself but it looks like that's how it was meant to be so I'm not concerned about that. My problem is that one of the hooks is missing and I haven't found it loose anywhere in the case.

I can't afford to just take my pc into a repair shop and have them fix it so I'm hoping to find an option that I can do myself. I've already done some research and from what I've read so far, it's my understanding that Arctic 5 thermal adhesive will help me "permanently" set the heatsink back on the board. I'm also led to believe that the arms and hooks, on the mobo and heatsink respectively, close a circuit that allows the pc to boot up. If this circuit isn't closed then the pc won't start up to protect it from overheating. Am I completely wrong about this?

How would I go about trying to find a replacement hook? could I try to rig something or does it have to be the exact same thing? If so, could I pop out one of the two hooks on the board that I'm not using or would that just present another problem?

I'm generally thinking that I could just hopefully rig something with the hook, possibly even bending the arm on the heatsink to touch the board easier, then use the Arctic adhesive to keep the heatsink attached to the board.

I'm not amazing with computers but I'm not lazy and have already spent quite a few hours trying to find a solution to my problem. I can't solder but my father can possibly help with that if it's needed. I've included a few pictures so you can get a better representation of what I'm faced with. I'm sorry for the long post but I'd really appreciate any insight or advice any of you can give me.

Thank you in advance

ps: To the best of my knowledge, the motherboard in question is an Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz with 800MHz Bus on a i865G Based Motherboard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi black sunshine,

Can't you just use the top left and then the bottom right hooks on the motherboard. It doesn't hurt to have your heatsink turned a different direction. Also, Arctic Silver 5 is what I like to use. Here are some links...

Artic Silver 5

Here is another kind

Arctic Silver Ceramique

Rubbing Alcohol can be used to clean the old gunk off, use care. A Q-Tip comes in handy doing this on the cpu(processor). The heatsink you can be a little less careful with.

Edited by Ferrari, 19 March 2009 - 11:10 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I am concerned about a couple things I see in the pictures.

1. You have circled a couple spots that look to be burned, or possible a component that burned and got knocked off the board.
2. There seems to be a lot of gunk/ possible weepage of something from the CPU core. This is visible around the center where the CPU core is.

There is usually no other residue other than the thermal paste which would go in the very center.

The CPU goes in to its socket and is held in (locked) by a locking arm.
The heatsink then goes on and can be held by 2 or 4 (generally) latch arms. If 2, they will be in the middle and will clip on to the socket. If 4, they will clip the same way but will be offset to either side.

Look HERE for your manual.

black sunshine

black sunshine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how everything turns out.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gang...

What you show in the images is actually the north bridge chipset. There are several kinds of chipset coolers that come with an adhesive type thermal pad already applied to the heatsink. I've had good luck using This One on similar chipsets.

That said, the chipset looks like it has been extremely hot (as 123Runner stated). If your video still works ok, you lucked out...but I wouldn't use the machine until you have a heatsink in place to avoid possible damage to the north bridge.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm still fairly learning myself, but yeah, I kept looking at that and kept thinking, "Thats not a cpu" LOL

Either way, somewhat of the same process for what he is asking I guess.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Thanks Wannabe1.

I was a little confused on what I was really seeing. Like where is the socket?

After taking a closer look, I see the missing clip holder for the heatsink (what he has circled).

We continue to learn!