Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Novice needing networking HELP

• Please log in to reply

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Not sure where to start. I have a Dell Dimension desktop that runs Vista as my home computer. I connect it to my AT&T 2 wire router/modem via ethernet connection. I have a Dell Latitude work laptop that has a wireless card and runs Windows XP. The laptop connects without issue to the wireless router/modem.

I bought a WiFi printer and realized I can't use it with my home desktop computer without making my desktop wireless.
So I bought a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter and followed the steps for connecting it inside my desktop computer. I rebooted and right away noticed a ton of issues with my desktop computer. The adapter when finished with the software load found my wireless connection and acted as if it connected to it. Then nothing. I had to reboot my computer because it kept getting locked up which it never really did before. The PCI adapter says it's Vista compatable. I did check it when it was installed and it showed that the device was working but I had no connectivity.

So, I uninstalled the software. Removed the PCI adapter and re-booted my computer. My computer immediately seemed better but now I have NO connectivity at all. My laptop is connecting perfectly without issue which means my router/modem is not the issue.

I went into 'Network and Sharing Center' and when I tried Network Discovery (trying to select turn on network discovery) my computer freezes up and I have to use task manager to shut the 'Network and Sharing Center'. Also, when I try to 'connect to a network' my desktop says no networks found. I have tried diagnosing and repair and I get the following message: The DHCP client service is not running on this computer.

So, I select restart the DHCP client service and that doesn't work. I get this error after it tries to repair: Choose another repair option - Window tried the following repair 'Restart the DHCP client service', but id did not fix the problem.

So then I select 'Reset the network adapter 'Local Area Connection'.

Not sure what other info. to give at this point. I really want to set up the PCI adapter and be able to make my desktop wireless but not sure that this is the right one for my computer: Model WMP54G

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am at my wits end.
THANKS!!!
Ilovesharpei

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey ilovesharpei,

I bought a WiFi printer and realized I can't use it with my home desktop computer without making my desktop wireless.

Why do you think this is the case? Most printers can be connected to your router (both via wireless and wired), and then shared with all machines that have a connection to the router (either wired, or wireless). Is there any reason in particular that you think your desktop must be wireless?

My computer immediately seemed better but now I have NO connectivity at all.

Let's try to get this fixed first. If you plug your desktop directly into the modem, do you get an Internet connection? Please run these steps on the problematic desktop. For step 2, you will need some form of removable media (i.e. USB chip) in order to post the results.

Step 1 - Reset your Winsock and TCP/IP settings:
  • Select Start
  • Type cmd in the Start Search field -- right-click on the cmd program and select Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh int ipv4 reset resetlog.txt
  • Once the above command completes, type netsh int ipv6 reset resetlog.txt
  • Once the above command completes, type netsh winsock reset catalog
  • Restart your computer.
Attempt to connect to the network now; can you? If not, please do the following.

Step 2 - Connectivity test:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan.

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Good Morning!!

The first set of your instructions did work to get me reconnected to my router/modem; THANK YOU!!!!

Regarding your question to me about the wifi printer "Why do you think this is the case? Most printers can be connected to your router (both via wireless and wired), and then shared with all machines that have a connection to the router (either wired, or wireless). Is there any reason in particular that you think your desktop must be wireless?" Well, I bought this wifi printer in the hopes that I could use it in the same room but not close by my computer (opposite side of the room) or even possibly in another room of my house. So, I thought that since the printer is wireless capable, I would have to make my desktop wireless capable in order for my desktop to recognize my printer. I talked to my boss's husband and he suggested a PCI adapter card to install on my computer. So, I found one on EBAY for 1/2 the price of NEWEGG ($25.00) which I thought was a good price. I thought it would be a really easy install as I have added a few other hardware items in past computers and thought I could do it.

I guess what you are saying is that the wireless router/modem I have would recognize the printer and relay that to my desktop that is connected via ethernet?

Since I already bought the PCI adapter I would like to still install it which would enable me to also move my router /modem further away from my actually desk I think. However, I don't want the HUGE number of problems I ran into when trying to use the PCI adapter.

I honestly don't think there could be software issues from installing a PCI card (not that I am and expert by any meanst). But the strange thing is after installing (and then removing) the PCI adapter, my Adobe Photoshop Elements is not working properly. There is also now a longer lag between booting up my computer than there was prior to installing/removing the PCI adapter. Any coralation? Probably not but it's odd to me.

Please let me know your thoughts about installing this PCI adapter again. THANK YOU very much for your help with getting my connectivity back; I was so frustrated.

I really appreciate your help.
-Ilovesharpei

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

The first set of your instructions did work to get me reconnected to my router/modem; THANK YOU!!!!

Fantastic :) -- you're welcome :)

I guess what you are saying is that the wireless router/modem I have would recognize the printer and relay that to my desktop that is connected via ethernet?

Normally, this is the case -- although not all routers support direct printer connections.

Since I already bought the PCI adapter I would like to still install it which would enable me to also move my router /modem further away from my actually desk I think. However, I don't want the HUGE number of problems I ran into when trying to use the PCI adapter.

That's certainly reasonable -- no point in having a wireless adapter just sitting around.

I honestly don't think there could be software issues from installing a PCI card (not that I am and expert by any meanst).

If I had to take a guess, I would say that the "software" you were trying to install was a third-party wireless connection manager -- these often conflict with the inbuilt Windows software, resulting in undefined behaviour. With the PCI adapter, do the drivers come on a separate CD OR when installing the software, is there an option to only install the drivers? You don't really need the software, since Windows will be able to handle your wireless connections.

So, my question is -- can you install the PCI adapter without the extra software, so that it is "Working properly" in Device Manager? If you can get to that stage, you should be able to use Windows to view available wireless networks and then proceed to connect to your wireless network.

If you cannot do this, then we'll disable the inbuilt Windows software before you install the third-party software.

But the strange thing is after installing (and then removing) the PCI adapter, my Adobe Photoshop Elements is not working properly. There is also now a longer lag between booting up my computer than there was prior to installing/removing the PCI adapter. Any coralation? Probably not but it's odd to me.

We'll look into this once we get your PCI adapter up and running.

- Dan

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Dan, thanks so much for your help thus far! When I opened up all the PCI information there was a big red label on the PCI adapter that said to load the software first. Before installing the PCI adapter into your computer. SO, I did power down my computer and I actually unplugged my desktop computer before I put the adapter in. Then re-booted and ran into all the problems.

So, I will try no software, just install the PCI adapter into my desktop and boot up and I'll let you know what happens :)

Thank goodness I have my work laptop in case I run into problems again. Although if I have to copy files from my home computer to my work computer I am unsure if I can (I don't have admin access on my work laptop). I hope that won't be needed.

I will get in touch with you after I re-install the PCI adapter.
Again, thank you for your help!
-Ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Dan, I re-installed the PCI adapter (without re-installing the CD-ROM software that came with it) and rebooted my computer. No connectivity.

I took a chance and followed your 'STEP 1' on your first message and rebooted again. Now I have connectivity on my desktop without having the ethernet cord; YAY!! And my work laptop is connected wirelessly without issue as well; double YAY! :)

Now, suddenly, my adobe photoshop elements program works again. I guess I will never fully understand computers.....

I also have to buy ink for my printer and once I do that I can test the connectivity with that and my computer (wirelessly). I hope it works but I may be back on this forum if it does not.

May I trouble you with one other question.....................I did not realize my USB ports (2 in front/2 in back) are only 1.0 not 2.0. I also don't have enough of them for all my periperals.

It was suggested I buy an extender card that is 2.0 (especially because I have a 1T external drive that would be faster on 2.0). I just don't have any idea what exactly I need to buy or where you buy one. I saw some 5 and 8 port ones on EBAY. I'm hoping I can install it in the one other PCI slot I have on my desktop (which currenctly has some sort of phone PCI card in it). A bit off topic so I won't be offended if you direct me to another area of the forums to inquire.

Thanks very much for your time and help!
-Ilovesharpei

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Now I have connectivity on my desktop without having the ethernet cord; YAY!! And my work laptop is connected wirelessly without issue as well; double YAY!

That's great to hear :)

Now, suddenly, my adobe photoshop elements program works again.

Triple YAY? :)

May I trouble you with one other question.....................I did not realize my USB ports (2 in front/2 in back) are only 1.0 not 2.0. I also don't have enough of them for all my periperals.

It was suggested I buy an extender card that is 2.0 (especially because I have a 1T external drive that would be faster on 2.0). I just don't have any idea what exactly I need to buy or where you buy one. I saw some 5 and 8 port ones on EBAY. I'm hoping I can install it in the one other PCI slot I have on my desktop (which currenctly has some sort of phone PCI card in it). A bit off topic so I won't be offended if you direct me to another area of the forums to inquire.

You may -- however hardware really isn't my specialty, so I'm afraid my advice would be sub-par. Your best bet would be to start a thread in our Hardware, Components and Peripherals forum, as they will be able to provide you with far better advice than I could, on this subject. :)

I also have to buy ink for my printer and once I do that I can test the connectivity with that and my computer (wirelessly). I hope it works but I may be back on this forum if it does not.

Not a problem; you know where to find us, so don't hesitate to post.

Thanks for taking the time to post how you managed to resolve your issue(s) -- feedback is always appreciated. :)

- Dan

ilovesharpei

ilovesharpei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks again Dan; your help is EXTREMELY appreciated :)
I will take your advice and pose my Extender card question to the 'hardware' forum.
Take Care!!
-Ilovesharpei

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
You're most welcome :) Good luck with your other issues.

- Dan