Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AT&T to Start Selling IPhone without Contract

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
I thought this would be an interesting read :) I just recently became an AT&T customer myself, but I find that this phone is EXPENSIVE, as is the monthly rate of $80.00 just for service ;(

AT&T to start selling IPhones Without Contract

Brian

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Its all a marketing plan to sell more phones and make a little more money. There are many people out there that will buy the phone for that much that can't qualify for a contract (bad credit, under age, etc...). I think its a smart move on AT&T's part to rake in a few extra bucks.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Its all a marketing plan to sell more phones and make a little more money. There are many people out there that will buy the phone for that much that can't qualify for a contract (bad credit, under age, etc...). I think its a smart move on AT&T's part to rake in a few extra bucks.

Hi Brian :)

I understand that there are people that may not be able to get the IPhone because of bad credit or being under age - the thing that makes me squirm is the price of the phone itself, and then when you buy this phone, you have to buy the $~70/month plan to use the phone - As it is, everyone wanted the IPhone in Vermont, and was screaming for it, but I don't see a need to go out and buy the phone, because I could not afford to keep both my landline and my cell if I had to pay that much. Being on a fixed income, I have to be extremely careful how I spend my money - and I want to make sure that I am getting a fair shake for my money :)

Since AT&T took over Unicel in Washington State and the Northeast, I have had to totally make a transition to a new company. Unicel did not seem to know what AT&T was going to do, and AT&T at first did not seem to care about Unicel's customers, and they charge DOUBLE what Unicel charges for unlimited services ($55.00 VS. $99.00) - I had unlimited with Unicel, so I wanted a comparable plan with AT&T. After waiting 2 weeks (and we would be required to change to AT&T by Dec. 28, 2009, buy new phones, and all that) I finally decided to make the change, go for the 900 minute plan ($59.99/month, Unlimited Nights and Weekends and Unlimited Mobile to Mobile), just so I was ON their network. I also did not like the fact that thousands of Unicel Customers were affected with this change, and no real "information" was being stated on their website on the transition, I filed a complaint with VT ATG's office, which got me a shot at speaking to a person from the Office of the President of ATT Wireless - I calmly explained my situation, stating that I could not make an informed decision based on information on the site, and that I had Lifeline Linkup on my $55.00/Unlimited Unicel plan, but since AT&T took over, Unicel customers who use Lifeline Linkup have no choices, no plans, and all that.

What transpired next was a deal that I was able to take advantage of - I was allowed to keep the 900min/month plan for this cycle, then at the next cycle, would be changed to the 450 min/month and would get 5,500 Rollover Minutes (12 months * 900 minutes/month would be 5,500 Rollover minutes - and I would get 5,000 Night and Weekend Minutes and Unlimited M2M - and this would be adjusted if necessary so I could keep my cell affordable. They also stated that information would be updated on the ATT transition page as well.

Basicually, I wanted to get a fair shake, and as a customer, I feel that I got it :) I had to spend $142.00 on equipment, but in the end, they set my bill at $48.00/month and that was a good deal for me :)

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 21 March 2009 - 07:58 AM.