Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Domain Re-Naming

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
We are purchasing a new domain name for our company. I need all of our current domain and emails to be changed to this new domain. But I still need the emails from the old domain to be forwarded to the new ones.

Has anyone gone through a major rename like this before, and if so any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
of course...who's answering first?

i don't recall...all your email is done in house correct?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I guess you are answering first :)

Yes our exchange is done in house.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the purpose of the new domain purchase? are you phasing out the old one or keeping both?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
We have used a variation of our business name as our domain due to our exact name being already purchased. The existing company is finally allowing us to purchase our exact name domain. We are also releasing a new website with our new domain name, so when we unveil that we want to have our internal domain match it, as well as all of our new email addresses. The website is not a big deal, that is all hosted out of house.

I can only assume that we are going to hold onto the old emails for quite some time. We dont want to lose any emails, we have had our domain for 20 years, so its important to keep receiving emails on the old until we are confident we could get rid of them.

Edited by jaxisland, 20 March 2009 - 12:46 PM.