Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to use 2 operating systems?

• Please log in to reply

G-bo

G-bo

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi folks,great site here by the way.I'll keep this as short as I can.I have two hard drives,one has xp sp3 and one has sp2.As I use one system for music and midi recording and mastering it was necessary to run 2 operating systems,one for my recording and one for regular use(e-mail ect.)This allows me to avoid some incompatability issues with the software and avoid system crashes.This setup works fine except that to change operating systems I have been removing the side of the tower and switching the data transfer wire and the power cable to the other hard drive,then when finished recording powered down and switch them back.As you can imagine this is getting pretty tedious so I was wondering if there was a better way to switch between the two systems?Appreciate any help you could tell me.Cheers.

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Plug in both drives, go to your Bios, and change the HD boot Order.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks for the feedback isimaster,just wondering if my hard drives should be set any particular way(slave or master)also when you say adjust the bios settings could you please explain a little further.I know how to get into the bios but know little or next to nothing about tweaking it's settings.Thanks again.Cheers.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well I hooked up both hard drives and entered the bios and chose the hard drive I wanted but it will only let me acess the one operating system.If anyone has any info on what I might be doing wrong would much appreciate it.Cheers.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Could you give me some specs on your machine.
Are your drives IDE or Sata ?

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Both my drives are sata

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

chose the hard drive I wanted but it will only let me acess the one operating system.

Which one?
you should see one as PM (Primary Master) one as SM (secondary master)

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
well both of my operating systems are xp.in my bios it does not say primary or master where Iam looking.it does show the size of the hd however and this is how i chose it.am i missing something in the bios maybe,Idon't know my way around there too good.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Each bios is a little different, the part your looking for is"Hard drive Boot priority",
It should be in "Advanced BIOS Features" You change the order using the + or - keys.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thanks isimaster I'm going to try that now. will post back with results.Cheers.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
well that worked out pretty good isimaster.I can now disable the hd that I'm not using.Thanks for all your help,much appreciated.One last thing I noticed was that both my hard drives show even tho I'm only using one.This is proably normal I suppose,just curious.Thanks again,Cheers.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Your Welcome!!

One last thing I noticed was that both my hard drives show even tho I'm only using one.

Yes that is normal. For a moment just think of it as if you had one bootable drive and added another for extra space.
The only difference is they are both bootable.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Kool,thanks again isimaster really appreciate all you're help.Guess I can put the side back on my tower now.Lol.Cheers.